cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromatic Aberration when switching from DSLR (Canon 60D) to Mirrorless (Canon R10)

BehindTheLens
Apprentice

After I was unable to find any answers from Canon or Tokina support and searching this forum, I thought I'd start a dedicated thread in the hopes that the gurus out there might be able to help.

I've used my Tokina AT-X Pro SD 11-16mm f/2.8 (IF) DX II for 7 years on my Canon 60D DSLR without any issues, but after upgrading to the Canon R10 mirrorless (FW 1.5.0) with the Canon EF-EOS R adapter I now experience some pretty severe chromatic aberration (CA). Samples uploaded to https://photos.app.goo.gl/tUqadN9B21GrXhcF8 and it's very noticeable in the astrophotography (5702). I don't always want to shoot in RAW and be burdened with the post-processing. Thoughts from the community on the root cause and corrective action?

More details:

1. I did not see any CA issues with the Canon 60D DSLR and I only shot in JPG.
  2. My first trip with the R10 was to Antarctica with lots of high contrast white scenery and fortunately I didn't detect any CA (shot in RAW+JPG), but it has since started to appear and increase in severity.
  3. CA is present in the on-camera generated JPG. This is true if saving as JPG directly (5363, 5364, 5367, 5609) or on-camera conversion to JPG (5702).
  4. CA appears in unprocessed RAW, but then fortunately it will process out (Windows Photo or Canon Digital Photo Professional). Why can't the on-camera conversion correct this?

I'm also new to post-processing and wasn't able to find any lens correction data for the Tokina in Canon Digital Photo Professional. Could that possibly fix the CA better?

I appreciate Tronhard's post in https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EF-RF-Lenses/Lens-recommendation-for-Iceland-travel-aurora-photog... about Sigma lens, so I'm eyeing the Sigma 10-18mm F2.8 DC DN to replace my beloved Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 if I can sell that for a reasonable cost to justify the upgrade.

Thanks in advance for the help!

10 REPLIES 10

Hi Peter, oh, I didn't realize that Google Photos converted my CR3 to JPG. Thanks for pointing that out and you learn something new everyday! I've deleted them from the Google Photos album and will DM you the Google Drive link. Please let me know if you were able to successfully retrieve them.

I still do have my 60D.

Announcements