cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon t6 external flash being triggered by other cameras

paultheic
Contributor

Hi guys

I have a canon t6, LS Photography LGG626 Flash Strobe Light 160W connected via Pixel TF-321 Pixel e-TTL Flash Hot Shoe using a sync cable.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

The flash works great for my photo booth but is being triggered by other photographers at events.

I cant work out how to stop the remote triggers.

many thanks in advance!

[Commercial links removed and replaced with screenshots to serve as visual aids.]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Your Canon EOS T6 has no built-in wireless off camera flash capability. There is nothing in the camera menus that would help with your problem. 

The Pixel TF-321 does not use wireless to trigger the flash. It is strictly a wired connection directly from your hot shoe via the PC sync cord to the flash.  If your strobe is going off while connected to Pixel TF-321 it must be responding to optical slave flash since there is no other way another photographer could possibly trigger it. 

I strongly suspect your flash has a built in optical slave trigger that responds to other flashes of light. Do you have a user manual for the LS Photography LGG626 Flash Strobe? One specification I saw online for that strobe says it has “inductor” trigger. Another one said “Photo-Cell(Salve Sensor) Include: Turns on Automatically in Dark    That may be just an odd way of saying optical slave flash. It must have a built-in optical slave flash, that is being triggered by other photographers. If possible, just turn off the optical slave flash function. If there is no switch, try covering up the slave sensor with black tape. (There seems to be some sensors at the top of the unit and one of them may be an optical slave sensor.)

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

You'd have the consult the support web site for those products.  I can only speak to Canon brand triggers and flashes which have a feature to select different channels and to set IDs to prevent others from triggering them.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

thanks for the reply.

Yes when i go into the menu it says unsupported 20230527_133710.jpg

Do you know of a canon trigger that has a 3.5mm sync cable port that would give me menu access?

My external flash only has the sync port and no hot shoe. T6 doesn't have a dedicated sync port other than the hot shoe.

thanks again!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The only way to be sure is to get a flash extension cable. Any other method is subject to outside interference.

Thanks for your reply.

My strobe flash only has sync port and not hot shoe. Is there a flash extension cable that has sync port that would give me access to the flash menus?

My hot shoe adapter and sync cable show "unsupported" in the flash menu

Thanks!

20230527_133710.jpg

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

The pics of the flash kit attached above show what appears to be series of four DIP switches on the transmitter trigger and receiver. I'm thinking the various random positions of these four switches should allow you to select up to at least 16 different channels to operate your flash remotely. Do you have the user manual for the trigger and receiver? I looked a bit online for a copy but didn't readily find one.

As rs-eos stated above you should be able to find a discrete channel that is used only by your camera and flash equipment. Unless you're working around dozens of other photographers who are already using all the available frequency channels. With the use of DIP switches you won't be able to make these adjustments thru the camera's menus. You'll have to manually set the DIP switches to a matching pattern on both your transmitter and receiver. Remote garage door openers used to use this same pairing procedure. Newer remote flash gear seems to have abandoned manual DIP switches for digital controls.

Hi thanks for the info

It didn't stop other photographers triggering my flash no matter what dip switches I selected. 

I then tried the hotshoe sync but that didn't work either

It seems like I need to get into the camera settings to turn off wireless triggering? I can't get into the settings because it's not compatible? 

Thanks again 

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Does your T6 have only 4 contacts on the hot-shoe, as opposed to 5 contacts on the hot-shoe sync adapter or the wireless flash transmitter?

Hi the camera has 5 contacts

thanks!

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Your Canon EOS T6 has no built-in wireless off camera flash capability. There is nothing in the camera menus that would help with your problem. 

The Pixel TF-321 does not use wireless to trigger the flash. It is strictly a wired connection directly from your hot shoe via the PC sync cord to the flash.  If your strobe is going off while connected to Pixel TF-321 it must be responding to optical slave flash since there is no other way another photographer could possibly trigger it. 

I strongly suspect your flash has a built in optical slave trigger that responds to other flashes of light. Do you have a user manual for the LS Photography LGG626 Flash Strobe? One specification I saw online for that strobe says it has “inductor” trigger. Another one said “Photo-Cell(Salve Sensor) Include: Turns on Automatically in Dark    That may be just an odd way of saying optical slave flash. It must have a built-in optical slave flash, that is being triggered by other photographers. If possible, just turn off the optical slave flash function. If there is no switch, try covering up the slave sensor with black tape. (There seems to be some sensors at the top of the unit and one of them may be an optical slave sensor.)

Mike Sowsun
Announcements