cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon repair did not work- urgent

liatkatz
Apprentice

I have a new 6d Mark II that I bought in July. After a short while and barely any use an Error 20 kept appearing and it was unable to shoot. I sent it in for repair and they sent it back, seemingly fixed. I take it out to use it today and the same error comes up and it will not shoot. Keep in mind that this is a new device that has barely been used, as it's spent more time in transport to be repaired than in my hands. I am so upset and I would like them not to repair it and just send me a new one as this is clearly defective. Anyone know what is the best course of action here?

Important to note that it is under a year old and still under warranty.

4 REPLIES 4

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I would contact Canon customer service via phone and ask to be escalated to a supervisor if necessary to see what they can do for you (replacement camera, repair with extended warranty, etc.).  Be clear and concise in your communications with them and remain civil and professional.  You want the customer service people you are interacting with to WANT to help you.  This pandemic is a tough time for everyone and it has interrupted a lot of business processes so a little extra courtesy can go a very long way in helping you get this resolved in a desirable manner.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Stephen

Hello.

We certainly understand your frustration.

It's not necessary to ask to speak with a supervisor. Your repair has its own 6-month warranty, if it was performed by one of our facilities. That's independent of the one-year warranty it came with when it was new. 

All  you have to do is reach out to support, let them know what's going on, and they'll do some basic troubleshooting to try to determine over the phone if what's happening could be due to a piece of rogue equipment you're using. If they determine that could be the case, they may ask you to send not only your camera body, but extra equipment with the repair - to be evaluated alongside your camera, so that our repair team can evaluate your gear to try to replicate your problem. This is standard operating procedure, not saying that is exactly what they will do in your situation, or pointing blame on another piece of gear causing the problem. Regardless, if it's been less than 6 months since the repair, they'll send you a "repeat repair" label so the team can re-evaluate your camera to try to determine the fault.

Bear in mind, our warranties are repair warranties, NOT replacement warranties. Only in rare situations will we replace a camera outright. You can find the warranty in full HERE.

You can find contact information for support within your My Canon Account HERE. If you don't have a My Canon Account, it's easy to set one up, and register all your gear. It's a great place to centralize all your support information as well.

@Stephen wrote:

Hello.

We certainly understand your frustration.

It's not necessary to ask to speak with a supervisor. Your repair has its own 6-month warranty, if it was performed by one of our facilities. That's independent of the one-year warranty it came with when it was new. 

All  you have to do is reach out to support, let them know what's going on, and they'll do some basic troubleshooting to try to determine over the phone if what's happening could be due to a piece of rogue equipment you're using. If they determine that could be the case, they may ask you to send not only your camera body, but extra equipment with the repair - to be evaluated alongside your camera, so that our repair team can evaluate your gear to try to replicate your problem. This is standard operating procedure, not saying that is exactly what they will do in your situation, or pointing blame on another piece of gear causing the problem. Regardless, if it's been less than 6 months since the repair, they'll send you a "repeat repair" label so the team can re-evaluate your camera to try to determine the fault.

Bear in mind, our warranties are repair warranties, NOT replacement warranties. Only in rare situations will we replace a camera outright. You can find the warranty in full HERE.

You can find contact information for support within your My Canon Account HERE. If you don't have a My Canon Account, it's easy to set one up, and register all your gear. It's a great place to centralize all your support information as well.

In a case like this, I think repair might even be preferable to replacement. If they're having to do it over, I think one can be virtually certain that it will be done correctly this time and that the camera will function as intended.

I once got a new 7D and noticed after a couple of weeks that it had some crud in the viewfinder. So I dropped it off at Canon's (late, lamented) Jamesburg shop to have the crud removed under warranty. The counter man asked me why I didn't just sent it back to B&H and have them give me a new one. I replied that I didn't want to have to re-do my autofocus microadjustments. You have never seen a camera as clean as that one was when I got it back.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Your repair has its own 6-month warranty, ...That's independent of the one-year warranty it came with when it was new."

Keep in mind, this runs concurrently with your Canon warranty not in addition to it. Now in Canon's defence, cameras are extremely complicated devices. They can be complicated to fix. A service tech can miss something. It happens. Call Canon and explain what is going on. I have no doubt they will make it right even if it takes two efforts. A bummer for sure but it will work.

As stated it is a repair warranty not a replacement warranty.  Although I have known cases where a "different" camera was returned.

Error 20 means a mechanical malfunction has been detected. So, the question to your right now is, are you using any non-Canon gear with the 6D Mk II ?  Anything?  Grip, flash, battery, or lens for instance? There should be and can't be any non-Canon gear attached to it. When you call, that will be the first thing they ask you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements