cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T7i stops reading SDCARDS altogether, Camera Connect shoots Live Photos but Not Live Video!

CanonFan23
Contributor

My Dear T7i seems like it has finished its life-time, ANY SDCARD (yes formatted, clean etc) results in:

"Card cannot be accessed
Reinsert/change the card or
format card with camera"

The same SDCards were tested in other cameras and PCs and work just fine - it's the hardware.

I cannot seem to get past this so I tried Camera Connect. LiveView works great but only lets me take Photos, but trying to shoot a video gives me a "CAPTURE FAILED" even though the Software is set to SAVE TO LOCAL MACHINE ONLY. Any ideas on both of these issues? Do not have $$ for new Camera, but even if I did I would like to keep the T7i around as I really dig it.

11 REPLIES 11

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Far from an expert but I have a T7 which, according to the manual, takes a certain card for videos. Would it be the type of card needed?

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Hi Thanks for your reply! I have tried 12 different SDCards, few of them i used for years in this Camera - also for shooting video so it's definitely the hardware, hence me trying to use Camera Connect and shoot directly to PC and the setting is SAVE TO COMPUTER ONLY should skip saving to sdcard and it does, but only works for photos. UPDATED to latest versions of all Canon software but the problem persists - CAPTURE FAILED when trying to shoot LiveConnect Video.

Perhaps you are correct in the sense that the Camera still needs to sdcard to shoot video to the PC, perhaps as a cache. Question is - should I need a working sd card to shoot Video to PC? I hope not, but doesn't work ATM.

Are you formatting the cards in the computer or in the camera. This makes a difference. Also what size cards are they.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Formatting in the Camera does not work for any of the cards, skipping the microSD+adapter ones (not recommended been told here) I tried four sizes (all used here before) 4GB, 8GB, 32GB and a 64GB all with the same (lack of) results.

Formatting one with FULL FORMAT (will take a bit) and NTFS, brings me to my next question - what File System is recommended for the T7i? NTFS/FAT or exFAT?

loads of good T7i Sdcard info here: https://havecamerawilltravel.com/canon-rebel-t7i-memory-card-recommendations/

I believe Canon uses FAT 32. So format the card in the computer using FAT 32. Then try formatting it IN the camera.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Hi, tried fully formatting 3 cards using exFat (to avoid having videos split at 4gb and also what I used for years) with same error, and formatting in the camera results in "CANNOT FORMAT. CHANGE CARD" Also tried one card with NTFS and normal FAT32 with the same results. It seems like the card reading mechanism is broken. These cards work in my Pentax x-5. Any idea why I cannot record videos using LiveView, even though it is set the "save to PC only", but photos work.

CanonFan23,

This may be a drawback, not of the camera, but of the Canon Camera Connect app.

I personally use a different app, and it's the same way. I can instantly see photos that I take on my tablet, but videos are saved to the card in the camera, and must be manually downloaded to tablet or computer later.

One option might be to use the HDMI port and send videos to an HDMI capture card, and video recording software on your computer.

Another opton might be to use Canon's webcam utility software, but I think that's really only designed for streaming videos out over the Internet or whatever. I've never used it, so I can't tell you the ins and outs.

Steve Thomas

CanonFan23
Contributor

There is no solution here yet, unless I clicked "Accept as Solution" accidental on my own post. The question about Camera Connect Live View is part of the topic and has not been addressed. Should it possible to record video from the T7i using LiveView with no SDcard, as it is when taking a photo in it, so is it a bug that it says "Capture Failed"? I have a non-functioning camera now, just trying to salvage what I can do with it.

Could you do me a big favour and test this real quick? Just take an older Canon (pref T7i) remove the sdcard and try shooting a photo in LiveView and then a video? Thank You, if you will get the same error, that means sdcard is necessary, probably for caching.

We unmarked that post as a solution for you.

Announcements