cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T7 Video Shooting Mediocre Results

TrainGuru_YT
Contributor

Continuing to try and get the T7 video to look good, but I have had mediocre results. The camera during photo shooting is perfect, but video shooting is my main struggle. I shoot at 24 fps. Any tips?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10CHdUASHdcbdeRw1spZZ2-4trAawCV9d/view?usp=sharing

6 REPLIES 6

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Hi TrainGuru_YT welcome to the forums. What is your problem exactly.

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

I shoot train videos as a hobby and cannot for the life of me get a really crisp shot with my camera. I have kept the ISO as low as possible, I have the shutter speed close to my framerate, and my fps is 24. But so many of my shots are grainy.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

This is a full screen capture zoomed to 300%.

I don't see any noise.Screenshot 2022-11-05 214659.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Any suggestions then on how to improve the camera settings?

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

Do keep in mind that when you take pictures and when you do video, the resolution size will be different and the resulting pixel quality as a result.  Your camera is a 24MP camera.  If you shot 1080p, your effective resolution (1920x1080) will be equivalent to a 2MP picture.  If you shoot 4k, it'll be 8MP.  Neither will compare to a photo image quality.  For video, shoot 4k to get the most quality for video.  However, editing 4k video will require a decent computer.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

When you mention that you have the shutter speed close to your framerate, if you're shooting at 23.987 fps and are using a 1/25 second shutter, that will not lead to the most natural looking movement.   Unless you are going for a very specific look, it's best to use the 180º shutter rule which means 1 / 2 x framerate.  So in your case, use a shutter speed of 1/50 (the closest that a DSLR will come to 1/48).    If shooting 30 fps, shutter would be 1/60 second.

As far as quality goes, unfortunately most consumer video equipment will not capture oversampled HD footage (though I'm not sure exactly what the T7 will be doing).   These leads to softer images with a decent amount of aliasing along edges and fine lines.   Also, 75% of the color information is tossed away (you're recording footage in 8-bit 4:2:0).  During playback, there's some re-interpolation going one, but you'll ultimately see some smearing with colors, especially in very fine details.

At the end of the day, consumer video equipment typically leads to lower quality due to making many compromises.

For very crisp HD footage, you'll want to use equipment that will oversample (UHD quantity of sensor sites).  For crisp 4K footage, oversampling using 8K quanity of sensor sites.   Also helpful is using codecs that can capture more color.  Anything from 10-bit 4:2:2 to 12-bit RAW.

Another part of the equation is dynamic range.  I think the T7 may allow you to capture in WideDR?  Though that camera doesn't have a stellar dynamic range, especially for video recorded to Rec.709

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements