Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SL3 and T5 - Overexposing When Shooting From Viewfinder In Auto Modes

Jaxsonp10
Contributor

Hello Canon Community!

I'm having some trouble with my DSLRs. 

I've noticed BOTH my Canon SL3 and T5 are both overexposing images when shooting from the viewfinder vs. the Live View, when shooting in auto modes. 

The issue stems from shutter speeds; in AUTO, Program AE, and in Apeture Priority AE, the cameras will always choose a faster shutter speed when using the Live View than when using the viewfinder.

For example, in Program AE mode, when viewing in through the viewfinder, the Camera will choose a 1/6th shutter speed. The exposure meter shows dead center. When immediately switching to Live View, the Camera will choose a 1/10th shutter speed. The exposure meter shows dead center. 

No other exposure settings are changed, and the resulting images are often significant different, with the viewfinder images almost being unusable due to overexposure. 

This issue does not persist in full Manual, or in Shutter Priority mode. When using Shutter Priority, the camera chooses to use the same ISO and Apeture in both shooting methods, and the exposure meter reads dead center in either mode...

I know the cameras use separate metering techniques depending on if you're in Live View or not, but if one of those sensors is off, wouldn't the exposure meter values be off in the Manual or Shutter Priority modes...?

Really confused as to what I'm missing. I know I should be shooting full manual anyways, but it's frustrating when I want to shoot auto to be limited to using the Live View only...

Thanks for any help!

21 REPLIES 21

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Whenever something like this happens the best next step is to reset the camera(s) back to Canon default settings.

Menus>Tools>Clear all settings and also Clear all custom settings. This puts you back to square one a basic start up. Now try and see if it still happens. Next a brand new SD card forma a top manufacturer. Make sure the batteries are fully charged.

It is unlikely that two cameras would exhibit a problem that is identical so user error is a high probability. Do the reset and see what happens. In case it doesn't help you may need Canon to service the camera(s). 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yeah I definitely feel like I'm missing a setting, or something? But as far as I can tell there is extremely limited settings the user can change when shooting in Full Auto? I'll do a factory reset of the camera and report back for sure. I have been using brand new SD cards from SanDisk.

I got the SL3 second hand, so I figured maybe the previous owner had simply broken something, or set something incorrectly. When I tested my T5 to compare (which I've had since new) and saw the same issue, I was very confused!

Thanks for the reply 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yes do the reset but it may be a fault with the camera. Quite possibly it is.  You have to make sure you are dealing with basic settings first.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Newer aquarium lamps do tend to be LED lights which exhibits the rapid flickering as mentioned above. LED lamps do mess with exposure and can cause odd color shifts. But I wouldn't expect the errors you're seeing to be so consistent. Some cameras have an "anti-flicker" menu setting to deal with the issue but I'm not sure the T5 or SL3 offer this feature. You might have to do some research in the user manuals to know for sure.

When your problem arises are you hand-holding the camera or is it mounted on a tripod? Does the same problem occur when shooting outdoors in good daylight?

ashtheartist
Apprentice

Hello, I Have absolutely the same issue with my Canon SL3
I did a factory reset twice and tried with two different original Canon lenses but it was still the same
have you found any solutions?

Please start a new thread so we can better assist you. To prevent confusion between the OP and other forum members.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

Having the same problem here, did you get any resolution from canon?

j-indigo
Apprentice

Hello, i just picked up a SL3 refurb direct from canon and am experiencing exactly the same problem — at least a stop over exposed, and this is true in daylight (so not led/fluorescent flicker) and with only canon lenses (several lenders including the kit lens and the 50/1.8). I tried a full reset to factory default and it didn’t not help. Did you find any fix for this?

There is nothing wrong with the camera. The two shooting methods have use different sets of electronics to meter the scenes. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum, Jaxson.

For the benefit of others who may not realize the difference between shooting with the VF vs. LCD, I will provide info on this.

To me one significant thing is the difference is apparent when you are looking through the viewfinder vs via the LCD at the back of the camera.   It is because when you look through the viewfinder the image is metered with a separate set of metering nodes because the mirror blocks the path to the sensor.  When you take the shot, the mirror flips up and the image is taken, based on those settings. BTW, when you look through the viewfinder, even if you are using a relatively narrow aperture, what you see will be with the fully-open aperture to assist you with focusing and composition.  So the aperture is closed as part of the image-recording process

In Live View mode - i.e. when using the LCD, the sensor is doing the reading, and so what you see and what the camera meters on is what will actually be recorded, including the exposure.  You can demonstrate these traits by pointing the camera at a subject, looking through the viewfinder and changing the EV compensation levels.  The viewfinder will show no difference, but the numbers will change, while the view from the LCD will change as you look and change the EV compensation.

While it may seem logical to stick to shooting with the LCD, that is problematic because as the weight and focal lengths of the cameras increase they will amplify any camera movement, and holding a camera like a cell phone is not a stable platform.

No!No!
Instead it is much better to hold the camera tight to the eye, using the Optical Viewfinder:
00 Holding a Camera.jpg

This is also compounded with how the default metering works. 

Metering has several different options, of which the default is Evaluative, which considers the majority of the Field of View and finds a compromise value of prioritization.  To get this under control, one may have to move about the focus point, which takes time and is imprecise.

Tronhard_0-1723921203478.jpeg

While this works for many scenes, it is not good where there is a lot of contrast and the subject is in bright light, as in the following image.  In evaluative metering the system would have considered the dominant black area, thus blowing out the actual subject.
EOS 5DsR, EF100-400II@321mm, f/5.6, 1/250sec, ISO-400EOS 5DsR, EF100-400II@321mm, f/5.6, 1/250sec, ISO-400 Fuji X-T4, Tamron 18-300@93mm, f/5.6, 1/250sec, ISO-400Fuji X-T4, Tamron 18-300@93mm, f/5.6, 1/250sec, ISO-400 Red Panda RX10, 500mm, f/4, 1/30sec, ISO-250Red Panda RX10, 500mm, f/4, 1/30sec, ISO-250
60D, 55-250@105mm, f/7.1, 1/1000sec, ISO-20060D, 55-250@105mm, f/7.1, 1/1000sec, ISO-200  Canon EOS R6, RF 24-240 240mm, f/8, 1/100sec, ISO-200Canon EOS R6, RF 24-240 240mm, f/8, 1/100sec, ISO-200

Other examples would be where the subject itself is either very dark (e.g. a black bear) or almost white (white bear). In those cases, the metering system will over-expose and underexpose the subjects respectively.

One solution to both issues it to be very precise with what is metered.  To do so, one must understand that a camera's dynamic range (the capacity to include white to black and all shades in between) is much less than ours.  So what we see (mediated by a lot of brain activity) will be much better than what the camera can capture.

Dynamic Range.jpg

What the sensor tries to do is configure the exposure settings for a reflectance level of mid-grey (aka 18% grey) - because colour is irrelevant in reflectance.   So, the more precisely one can specify the correct level of reflectance, the more correct that exposure will be achieved and this is done by being more specific in what is metered - which is where we come to the metering modes.

I personally prefer to shoot in single point, centred metering, and lock with the * button on the back of the camera.  I combine that with Back Button Focus, (assigned to the AF-ON button) which allows me to define exactly what point in the photo is the focal point.  This is critical for photographing people or animals, where the eye is the critical. element. 

Setting this up: you need to be in M, Av, or Tv modes to see all menu options.

Setting up Centre Point or Spot Metering: In either camera, via the menu, one can set the centre point metering as per the following from the SL3 manual:

Tronhard_1-1723922776498.png

So How does this all work:

It is better to shoot in one of the modes like Av, Tv or M, rather than the more automated modes as you have more control over the image - the more automated the mode, the less choice the operator has - the more the camera is controlling you.

1. Locate the point of mid-reflectance and lock it in with the * button
2. Locate the point of focus (e.g. an eye) and lock that by tapping the AF-ON button.  (Focus should be set to Servo, so that a tap will lock focus on a stationary object, while holding the AF-ON will follow the subject)
3. Recompose and shoot.

It may seem complicated, but once you get some practise in you will do so in about a second and will have total control over both focus and exposure.  BTW, You don't have to shoot in M mode - there is a fallacy that this is THE mode to work in.   I, and many of my colleagues shoot in Av mode predominantly, rarely in Tv or M - but that depends somewhat on the genre.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements