cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel SL1 flash makes buzzing sound

TMWilson7196
Apprentice
When trying to take a picture the flash makes a crackling sound. Like when a bug flies into a bug zapper. Is it suppose to make that sound or is the flash defective?
4 REPLIES 4

Tim
Authority

Hello TMWilson7196, 

This sounds as though something which should be sent to Canon for evaluation.  

For factory service, fill out a repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

http://www.usa.canon.com/repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

TraciMcPhoto
Contributor

I know this is from a while ago, but did you figure out what it was?  Mine stareted making the loudest electricity-sounding sounds today (your description of a bug flying into a zapper was perfect) and I can't figure out if it's my caera, my speedlight, or my Quantum Turbo SC battery pack. 

@TraciMcPhoto wrote:

I know this is from a while ago, but did you figure out what it was?  Mine stareted making the loudest electricity-sounding sounds today (your description of a bug flying into a zapper was perfect) and I can't figure out if it's my caera, my speedlight, or my Quantum Turbo SC battery pack. 

First and foremost, ditch the battery pack and any other add-ons.  Let’s test the camera as it came from the factory.

When the camera buzzes, how much available ambient light do you have?  Canon DSLRs have a feature that can use the internal strobe as a Focus Assist Beam.  This feature is not silent, and makes a buzzing sound like a bug.  

The Focus Assist Beam can be disabled, and only kicks in during very low light conditions.  At least what the camera thinks are very low light conditions.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

An update!  Turns out the cord connecting the Quantum Turbo SC battery pack split and fried the battery.  Bought a new Turbo SC and works great again.  Sent the one that broke into Quantum for service.

Announcements