cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R8 vs R6

Duskyshuttermag
Apprentice

Hello Everyone,

I am currently a Nikon D5200 user, and I mostly shoot outdoor portraits.

At first I wanted to go for Sony A7cii or A7 IV for their autofocus in video, however after looking at Canon's autofocus system, my mind has made up to go for Canon. I am confused in between R8 and R6 (R6 ii is out of my budget actually). My main purpose is portraits and shooting small video clips for reels and social media.

R8 has a bigger sensor but it does not have a mechanical shutter and I have seen many people complaining about image bending and sometimes background being wobbly in low light.

On the other hand, R6 is amazing but it has a smaller sensor, so does it have a better autofocus and image quality than R8?

Please suggest me which one should I pick and also I heard that RF mount does not have a third party lens support, so it it okay to use the adapter for other lense mounts?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ctitanic
Enthusiast

Both are good cameras and there is not a way to go wrong picking any one of them. That said. I recently was in your same position and ended buying the R6 Mark I.The main reason why I picket the R6 over the R8 was the lack of buttons on the R8 compared to the R6. The R8 does not have a joystick and this is one of the buttons that I use a lot when picking the right composition. The other point was the fact that the R8 has one single SD card slot. If you are seriously thinking about taking pictures professionally or just thinking about taking pictures of your special events in life, like a one life time trip, you want to be sure that your pictures are safe and having them saved in two cards will give you that safety.

BTW, The AF of the R6 is amazing and the 20MP sensor has not been an issue on the contrary. I'm saving a lot of space and because the file are smaller the post processing time now is shorter (less demaning on your PC).

Overall, If I have to pick again between the R6 and the R8 I'll pick again the R6.

Note: if you want to check the picture quality you can do that by checking my Flickr page linked in my signature.

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The only real adapter is the Canon adapter to go from EF lenses to RF lenses. But if you are starting fresh, there is no need to get EF lenses.

Makes sense!! Thank you

ctitanic
Enthusiast

Both are good cameras and there is not a way to go wrong picking any one of them. That said. I recently was in your same position and ended buying the R6 Mark I.The main reason why I picket the R6 over the R8 was the lack of buttons on the R8 compared to the R6. The R8 does not have a joystick and this is one of the buttons that I use a lot when picking the right composition. The other point was the fact that the R8 has one single SD card slot. If you are seriously thinking about taking pictures professionally or just thinking about taking pictures of your special events in life, like a one life time trip, you want to be sure that your pictures are safe and having them saved in two cards will give you that safety.

BTW, The AF of the R6 is amazing and the 20MP sensor has not been an issue on the contrary. I'm saving a lot of space and because the file are smaller the post processing time now is shorter (less demaning on your PC).

Overall, If I have to pick again between the R6 and the R8 I'll pick again the R6.

Note: if you want to check the picture quality you can do that by checking my Flickr page linked in my signature.

Frank

That was a very amazing response which cleared my queries 👌🏻👌🏻 I also checked your flicker ID. Amazing shots man😁

Thanks for your kind words.

Frank
Announcements