cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R8 - Video Focus Problem

Anonymous
Not applicable

hey guys. I’m having a big problem on my Canon R8.

I use it 90% of the time for photography but I end up doing some video work. When I bought it in May, it was working perfectly, however, I did the 1.1.0 software update and now when I went to use it to film, the focus is horrible, it takes many seconds to focus and I noticed that some options in the AF3 menu disappeared. I've already reinstalled the software and reset the camera to factory settings but nothing helped.

The camera starts looking for focus and takes a few seconds to find it, but after finding it, if the object moves it starts trying to focus again by going back and forth with the focus. it is impossible to use.

I've already tested it with my 3 RF lenses but none of them work in video mode. When I'm in photography mode, the focus works perfectly.

I don't know what else to do, I really wanted to downgrade to version 1.0.0 but I can't find the firmware.

Here is a link with a video showing the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySU_-c7tFV0

Thank you all.

12 REPLIES 12

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

They never supply a file for the first software revision of the camera. You would have to send it back to the factory, and even then, I don't know that they would do it.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

AF Area - The image of your settings indicates you are using Whole Area AF.  Please change to Spot (narrow) or 1 point AF.  

shadowsports_1-1702650334248.png

shadowsports_2-1702650401052.png

shadowsports_0-1702649745833.png

Do you have Lens Drive when AF Impossible enabled? (recommended)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've already tested all the focus modes, that's not the problem. Even before the update it worked perfectly in any focus mode, now it's horrible, like in the video I linked to in the post.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements