cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R7 Noise Issue

naumce
Contributor

Hi,

I recently purchased the Canon R7 and i do own the Rp as well. I am using the rf 100-400mm usm and i have noticed that even on sunny days with sufficient light i do get substantial Noise on the images even processed trough DPP. The noise is pretty visible even on ISO 1250. I have tried both, mechanical and electronic and the mechanical shutter is way worst. Noise reduction for high Iso is set to standard. Im just wondering if i have some settings done wrongly or what is the case. I know APC sensors usually have higher noise but even with my old Rebel t7 i havent had so much noise in the images. Any advice will be appreciated 

21 REPLIES 21

Thanks for the tips. Appreciate it

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

I have the R5 instead of R7, so this might not be the case for you. I hope some of this might help anyway.

It might help to disable peripheral illumination correction in the camera menus. It also might help to set high ISO noise reduction to low and then increase it if necessary in DPP. I assume you are processing raw CR3 files in DPP. It may also be possible to process the the CR3 files in the camera and turn off the peripheral illumination correction and change the noise reduction. Also, in DPP, it may help to set clarity to "-1" for photographing people. The radius for unsharp mask in DPP can be set to 3.0 to avoid sharpening the noise.

"Digital Lens Optimizer" will sometimes also make noise stand out. If this is the case, then reduce the value until it looks better.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

Thanks John, will try to disable peripheral illumination and see if that makes a difference as at the moment is on. 🙂

naumce
Contributor

Just an update to all, specially everyone who gave me the tips. Shooting in spot metering helped a lot in reducing the noise. What i also noticed is shooting in electronic shutter with slower shutter speed definitely helps as well. The biggest problem for me was the hoodie on the RF 100-400 that originally belonged to my 70-200 EF L lenses. Apparently the hoodie was blocking to much of the light entering the sensor trough the lens so i was receiving too much of a noise. Today i did many shots on a sunny day without the hoodie and noise was minimal even with higher shutter speed. 

Just one more time thank you all for all the help

I'm really glad you are having a more positive experience with your new camera - while it inevitably takes some getting used to, it should overall be a joyful experience.  I hope it will continue to be so for you!

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks Trevor, I do love it. As i mention i own the RP as well, but after getting the R7, cant get my hands off of this camera. I really love it. 

naumce_0-1666747270981.png

This is just a Screen shot of todays session.

Hi Trevor, 

Just wannit to share this photo that i shot today. Im loving this camera more and more day by day.

naumce_0-1667356299801.png

BrianDavies
Enthusiast

Hi, I am not sure if you are still experiencing a lot of noise? I have the RP and the R7. The RP is significantly better being full frame and with less MP too. However, my R7 is better than my M6 Mk II was (with 32.5MP, same sensor as the 90D) and this was confirmed when I watched side-by-side comparisons with the 90D. The R7 has less noise and a much sharper image. My R7 is cleaner than my T6S and 80D were, for sure.

APS-C very quickly gets noisy in the shade, so even if it is a bright day, shoot in the shade and you will be getting around 2 stops more noise than your RP. As you climb up the ISOs they end up only about one stop apart. The quality of the light has a huge impact. I have shot birds in flight at ISO 2500 and been amazed how noise free the images were (I mostly needed ISO 2500 to get a fast shutter speed) and shot at ISO 2500 in a different light and hated the amount of noise. If you expose to the right it can make a big difference! So instead of underexposing and raising shadows in post, overexpose (keeping an eye on the histogram not to clip highlights) and then there will noticeably less noise and less shadow recovery required too (shadow recovery tends to increase noise).

If you turn on HDR PQ the camera also gets less noise. Don't worry, this is not the usual HDR which takes more than one shot and combines them. This takes one shot and can even be used for burst shooting. The image below was taken at ISO 5000, indoors, with HDR PQ turned on. Standard noise reduction, no AI noise removal plug-ins. Obviously the image is also cleaner being far smaller than the full res image out of the camera.

Lucy 0003.jpg

Announcements