cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R6 Mark II Video Specs

dzigavertov
Apprentice

I am very impressed with my new Canon R6 Mark II that I am using for video.  The power requirements are much friendlier than the R5C, and the Tascam audio interface works nicely with its hot shoe (though the Tascam is very bulky compared to similar items made by Panasonic and Sony for their own cameras).  Can anyone please confirm, however, if the internal recording for 4K Video is 10-bit 422?  And not 8 bit or 420 like the C100?  It’s an extremely important spec for professional use.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

You'd need to enable CLog3 in order to record YCbCr 10-bit 4:2:2 to internal media.  See page 397 of the User Manual.

However, if you're wanting to do time-lapse movies, 8-bit 4:2:0 will be used (see the note on page 416)

There's also a note on page 454 regarding 8-bit 4:2:0, and I'm assuming that is for the case of not using CLog3.

Note that if your clients require 10-bit 4:2:2, you probably should also check if the Canon R6 Mark II is in the list of approved equipment.  I don't think it would be.  Typically, you'll only find Canon's cinema cameras in such lists.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

You'd need to enable CLog3 in order to record YCbCr 10-bit 4:2:2 to internal media.  See page 397 of the User Manual.

However, if you're wanting to do time-lapse movies, 8-bit 4:2:0 will be used (see the note on page 416)

There's also a note on page 454 regarding 8-bit 4:2:0, and I'm assuming that is for the case of not using CLog3.

Note that if your clients require 10-bit 4:2:2, you probably should also check if the Canon R6 Mark II is in the list of approved equipment.  I don't think it would be.  Typically, you'll only find Canon's cinema cameras in such lists.

--
Ricky

Ricky, thanks so much!  This is so incredibly helpful.  I’ve been only using C-Log 3, but it’s interesting that when disabled the video reverts to 4:2:0.  Netflix has a list of approved cameras but this mostly applies to fictional work.  They’ve distributed many projects shot on DSLRs shot with far worse specs.  I’ve been happy with the IQ, though it should be noted (as stated in the manual) that I see some noise issues in the blacks.  I’m not sure why the noise banding would only show up when using log, even though it comes with far more bandwidth in the data.  

Hi! I'm a fresh new user of MkII 🙂

Did you perhaps find the solution for noise banding with C-Log3?

Since this is a new topic and doesn't apply to the original question, please start a new topic along with examples.

--
Ricky

Sorry & thanks. 

Announcements