cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 live view not reflecting aperture changes in still mode

jussivomfass
Apprentice

I am having a strange issue with changing the aperture in my Canon R5 when using the Canon EF-RF adapter. I can see the aperture value changing in the screen, but it has no impact on the depth-of-field in the live viewfinder/screen. Images come out correctly with the right aperture once I release the shutter, but it looks like the aperture remains fully open in the viewfinder regardless if I use f1.4 or f16. This issue does not appear in video mode though, only in still mode. In video mode the depth of field is changing as I change the aperture value. I have the latest camera firmware installed.

Any idea what might be causing this?

4 REPLIES 4

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Canon focuses wide open. The aperture does not stop down until the picture is taken. This is to keep the viewfinder as bright as possible. The camera and lens is working correctly. Video mode is different from stills mode.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

See this:

Canon Knowledge Base - Aperture-Priority AE on the EOS R5.

You can use Depth of Field Preview just like the old days.

Note.  Watching your post. 2 new users and 2 nearly identical posts within 25 min of one another.  I'll edit my post if I find its just a coincidence.     

shadowsports_0-1684246295749.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Rick, actually I only created one user and this particular thread. As this seems to be the standard way the camera operates, feel free to delete this thread.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Please don't take this personally.  Its probably just a coincidence.  This is an inclusive environment, but we do get a lot of SPAM.  Your question is valid and one we are happy to help you with.  I am not a MOD, just a fellow user like yourself.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements