cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 freeze after 1.5.1 update

mgammal
Contributor

Hi Canon,

After installing firmware 1.5, I was having my R5 freeze regularly with animal eye autofocus mapped to back button focus. I installed firmware update 1.5.1 this weekend hoping it will fix the issue. I went out today to shooting some shore birds. My R5 locked up 3 times in a period of 1.5 hours of shooting, one of the three was was with error E70. In all three cases, turning the camera off/on fixed the issue; this is different from firmware 1.5 freezes, where I had to take out the battery to fix the freeze. 

Please let me know if you need more information about the camera settings. I happy to share them. 

Regards, Mo

64 REPLIES 64

Ah, you're part of NZ's secret plan to take over Australia! 😁

I am at a loss.  My cameras have behaved very well through all updates...  I wonder if there is some batch issue that those of you with these problems have in common - not that it would be easy to find out, or for that to cause any further investigation.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

seanun
Contributor

My R5 locks up constantly with

different memory cards & no memory cards

different lens

different AF modes

servo & single shot AF

…..

I sent it in to Canon repair, they said it passed their tests so there was no issue with the camera.  I found that to be a fairly provocative statement and pointed out that the fact they did not find an issue is not the same as there being no issue - it was not a friendly interaction.  It ended with them telling me to send it back if it happened again.

The camera/adapter system clearly has an issue.  and it seems that Canon repair is not equipped to root cause the issue.  This is an issue for Canon engineering to figure out.  So what’s the point in sending it back to Canon repair?

I’m kind of at a loss for next step and quite frustrated.  My camera is almost unusable whereas my $4,000+ was 100% functional.

I’m not particularly hopeful that this will be resolved in a FW update.  I know of no reason to assume this is not a HW defect.

I forgot to add - I am on FW 1.5.2 

FW update did not resolve my freezing problems.  It may actually have gotten worse.

lindat
Contributor

Well, I was thrilled. After installing 1.5.2 my R5 was working beautifully. I stopped thinking about freezes. Then today, I was using the 100-500 and photographing a beautiful Osprey that just caught a fish and what happens, FREEZE!!! Then the camera froze again 2 more times within 30 minutes. I was so disappointed. The problem is not fixed. I had to remove the battery to get the camera to start again as I had done in the past. I guess once you have one of these problem cameras it is what it is. Very disappointed. I had taken thousands of photos since the update and really thought all was well. I was wrong. 

brandnew
Apprentice

Signed up here just to post that I got my very first R5 + RF 100-500mm freeze today.  I've had both body and lens since the days they were released and have used them almost daily.  Never had a freeze with them until I went to turn on my R5, and the EVF was black.  Tried looking through it a second time and checking that the camera was indeed on, and it was still black.  Turned off the camera, but the shutter curtain closing(?) clicking sound didn't happen like it normally does, and the top LCD still showed my shooting settings, even though the power switch was on OFF (I took a picture that shows that).  Only after I removed the battery and reinstalled it, did the R5 start working again.  Of course, the shot I was going for was a one-time opportunity, and I missed it.  I've also had very sporadic Err 60 errors in the past with my R5 + RF 70-200 2.8, but I think both issues are unrelated.  I've been on firmware 1.5.2 since the day it came out, as well as the latest RF 100-500 firmware.

I have since discovered that carefully cleaning all contact surfaces with 70-30 alcohol and a soft cotton q-tip... The lens and in the camera contacts as well as the battery grip if you have that as well. That seems to solve the problem. I had a couple more freeze-ups after 1.5.2. I did that I've never had another freeze up in many, many thousands of pictures

Were you getting a specific Err code or no code at all (or didn't notice)?

I've heard about and used this potential solution before, but still have had freeze ups. Less frequently with the latest 1.5.2 firmware.
This is not an acceptable solution for this issue and should not be marked as such.

Yeah, I'm not sure why that was marked as a solution.  I had a friend also buy a brand new R5 and brand new RF 100-500, and they got a Err 70 lockup within their first few days.  I somehow doubt their lens and camera contacts came dirty from the factory, and I have doubts that my contacts have any dust, debris or other connectivity issues because I rarely change lenses and use my camera in fairly sterile environments.

Well it seems like Canon has finally acknowledged my issue was a real issue and fixed it with new firmware for the RF 70-200:

Firmware Version 1.1.1 incorporates the following fix:
1. Fixes an issue, in which, in rare instances, "Err60" is displayed if zoom operations are performed when the camera is started.

As I thought, it was an issue with the lens itself and had nothing to do with my R5.

Announcements