cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 Overheating with firmware 1.5.2

llehmann
Enthusiast

Using the following settings I had my new R5 overheat within 30 minutes of normal use at a wedding. 
Also called BH Photo and Video support and they were also able to replicate the problem. Amazing support since this is not their problem!

Firmware version 1.5.2

One test using only CF Express Card
One test using only SD Card
The CF Express card lasted about 15 minutes longer before the overheating situation happened.

Set the camera to video.
1080P  (Not using 4K or 8K as those had known isssues)
120FPS
Should have a max record time of 7:29 with these settings. Do a couple long recordings of 7 minutes long with the back LCD running. For me... the max record time dropped to 5,4,3,2 then 1 minute after 2 recordings.
At 2 minutes the overheating symbol starts flashing. After a couople more recordings max record time was 1 minute than flashing 0:00. Camera done.

For me... it happened within 2 full 7 minute recordings. For B&H... they saw the same thing happen after 4 recordings. Now, this was just to test the problem. I normally record 10 to 30 seconds at a time. We just did full 7 minute recordings to replicate the problem faster. 

I called Canon Support and they refused to even test the problem on their end as this shouldn't happen. That's really poor support as they said this should not happen. They also had me check the OverHeating option was checked in the menu. With the new firmware 1.5.2 this option is no longer in the menu system! Camera Icon, sub-menu 8.

I was wondering if anyone else could test this with their R5. Possible test it with a different firmware version, and then with the latest version 1.5.2?

PS: Setting the camera back to 60FPS turned off the overheating and I could use the camera. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'm really sorry you're having problems with the R5. That's a big investment to have it not work for you.

There are as many use cases as there are people, and they're all valid. Yours, as you explained it, makes perfect sense; it's just a shame that it doesn't work on the R5.

I personally think it's a fantastic video camera -- having been using it since last July -- but with limitations. If someone had asked me if I would use it for weddings, for example, I would have said no, because of the record time limit. If you're recording an hour-long ceremony, you'll hit that before it overheats, at least at 24 FPS.

I have to say I'm surprised you're getting overheating relatively quickly, at 1080p. But then again, the camera is juggling 35 megapixels and downscaling from 8k to 2k, all at 120 FPS... so thinking about it, maybe not so much. Which doesn't help you, of course.

Between the issues you've identified with the R6, and the overheating on the R5... I hesitate to mention this, because it's another huge cost, but it sounds like the R5C would be ideal for you. I just ran couple of battery tests shooting 4k at 120 FPS; I got 39 minutes and 43 minutes back to back, no overheat, just the fan came on. Battery life isn't great on the R5C, but there's no record time limit, overheating seems like it's solved, and it does "Double slot recording" (i.e. dual slot). You can run it with USB power if you have a 30W PD battery bank and cable. One thing is that the operating system is totally different to the other R cameras, it's more like the C70.

Anyhow, I hope you can get something working.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The principle source of heat build up is the memory card slots.  Try using an external recorder with an external microphone connected to the recorder.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

Sorry I don't have much help for you, but a few points:

I'm surprised to see this in 1080p mode.  I regularly shoot 30-minute clips in 4k HQ (aka "fine"), no problem.  A second clip straight away will overheat.  I'm recording to CF in camera.  Basically I can shoot 57 minutes continuous (I have to press record after 30 minutes) before overheating shuts it down -- again in 4k HQ.  I have no idea why 1080p would be such an issue, since I don't use it, but maybe the downscaling is extra work?  Try 4k HQ.

In 4k LQ -- which is really quite nice -- I couldn't make the R5 overheat at all, even after 5 hours straight recording.

So maybe try shooting 4k???  You can always downscale in post.  4k LQ downscaled to 1080p should look great.

The 7:30 time limit when shooting 120FPS is due to the "tax law" record time limit; not overheating or battery.  When you shoot 120FPS, the record time is limited to 7:30 because the playback time of the video would be 30 minutes.

The "OverHeating option" in the menus is now called "Standby Low Res".

I am running 1.5.2.

AtticusLake,

Would you mind testing the 1080p 120FPS on your camera. You'll have to press record a few times at the 7:29min mark... but see if your record time starts to change after the 2nd, 3rd, 4th recording. and dropping?

I know it's not suppost to happen... but it does.

Im running a test in my office right now using 1080P and 60FPS and doing a couple 30 minute recordings. Then going to switch back to 120FPS and see if it still reads 7:29 as my max time... or the camera comes back with less record time. Just to see if it's "starting" to heat up at those settings.

Appreciate the help!

OK, just did the test.  I got 4 recordings before it overheated:

• 7:30
  • 4:11

total 26:41.  The record time limits reported by the cam were 7:29, 7:29, 5:00, and 1:00.  Those limits are pretty conservative, though, and I generally ignore them and just let it run.

I guess I'm surprised that I got less total recording than I would in 4k.  But not too surprised -- 120FPS is a *lot* of work for the camera.  Personally I've never hit this because I wouldn't record for that long at 120.  60 FPS is adequate for all my needs, though I'm usually at 23.976.

As for why the R6 doesn't get this, I guess the R6 isn't doing as much processing.  For example it doesn't do 8k, so if it line-skips the sensor down to 4k, then it only has ¼ of the data to deal with.  Naturally that's ¼ of the work, and hence ¼ of the heat.  And a less good image.

Generally the R5 packs a stupendous amount of processing into a small package with no active cooling.  Hence the R5C.

Thanks for the test and results AtticusLake!

I don't record for that long in 120FPS either. Short 10 to 30 second clips at 120fps. But it seems that they add up and once the heat builds... it never recovers without being shut off.

I tested with a cold camera at 1080P at 60fps for a couple 30 minute clips... switched back to 120FPS and the camera was at 0:00 in red and overheated. Again... switching back to 60fps will allow it to keep working.

llehmann
Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice AtticusLake! While that makes no sense that shooting in 4K instead of 1080P... stranger things have happened! 🙂  I'll give it a try.
I already have the Standby Low Res set to on.

Waddizzle:
I appreciate your insight and time to comment on this issue. I do understand what is the main culprete that over-heats. Using an external recorder would solve the problem.

Kinda like if the LCD starts malfuctioning, using an external monitor would solve that problem.
If the shutter button stopped working, using an external trigger would solve that as well.

It's like you bought a new car and the trunk only worked for half an hour. Then were told just don't use the trunk and hook up a trailer. Problem solved! It's kinda unacceptable. 

Im not upset with you or your solution as you're trying to help. 

I would really like to hear from other Canon R5 users if they are experiencing this issue at 1080P and 120FPS with long recordings. It's happening to me and to the support staff at BH. I imagine it's happening to others. I'd like to find out if it's the firmware or camera or....????

Its crazy to me that I have 2 other Canon R6 cameras with lower specs and performance than the R5 and they run perfectly. I actually upgraded to the R5 for the performance. For right now, I can only use my R5 for wedding ceremonies where I run at 1080P and 60FPS.

Thanks again for any help other photographers can report on this issue.

Everyone experiences overheating at 120 fps.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The question is why is that happening to the R5 and not R6?
Not angry with you... but it's pathetic! 

The camera has a major design flaw. I can use my R6 all day at 120FPS without problems and writing to multiple SD cards at the same time.

We all bought a race car and it seems like everyone is accepting the fact that it's a lemon and only good for a couple laps around the track. 

Before you say, just return it to BH... I bought it from them but live in Mexico. I'd love to get my money back and buy a 3rd R6! Cost too much money and the people who brought it down threw away the box.

"everyone is accepting the fact that it's a lemon" ... you're putting words in my mouth, and I have to object to that, because you're wrong.  I have been using the R5 heavily for close to a year, for video, and I'm delighted with it.  I have dozens of projects I've shot, all 4k, all oversampled, all long-form -- 15-30 minute clips -- and they're all fantastic.  I use it for long sessions outdoors and have rarely had an overheat warning, and never a shutdown.

Taking the problems you've had, which are undoubtedly real, and projecting them onto everyone who owns an R5, is simply immature.  You have to understand that not everyone is doing what you do.  Clearly if you shoot 120FPS all day, the camera can't cope.  This doesn't surprise me at all -- 120FPS on a camera with an 8k sensor is a severe strain to put on the camera.  But shooting 120 all day is not a regular use case for a movie camera.

Personally I can't see why you need to shoot 120 all day.  For me, 120FPS is extreme slow-mo (for this class of camera), and something I would only use for effects shots.  For more regular use, 60 FPS would be fine for me.  In fact I usually shoot 23.976.

Also, I don't get why you bought an 8k camera if your main use case is 1080p.

Bottom line, the R5 has been fantastic for me, and I will certainly keep using it.  I'm sorry it doesn't work for your use case, but that doesn't make it a lemon.  In fact I think you should reconsider how you're using it.  Or else stick to the R6 -- since it has only ¼ the pixels, it's no surprise (certainly not to me) that it can cope with this fringe use case better.

Announcements