cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R3 with Odd Shutter Speeds

gregarth
Apprentice

While shooting with my R3 in TV mode tonight, I somehow hit something and now the shutter speeds are like 1/1217.7 and I have no idea what I hit or how to take it off. Has anyone else experienced this?

7 REPLIES 7

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Gregarth and welcome to the forum:

Nope, so such experience.  However, given you think you might have inadvertently changed something, your best course of action is to do a factory reset of the camera, as per P938 of the Advanced User Manual, which you can find At This Link .

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@gregarth wrote:

While shooting with my R3 in TV mode tonight, I somehow hit something and now the shutter speeds are like 1/1217.7 and I have no idea what I hit or how to take it off. Has anyone else experienced this?

Would you happen to be shooting indoors when it happens?  I believe the R3 is one of the few camera that can automatically micro-adjust its shutter speed to best compensate for light flicker.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

…from the Advanced User Manual.  Notice the shutter speed being displayed.

High Frequency Anti-Flicker once enabled can be set to Automatic or Manual, where it will prompt you before it micro-adjusts shutter speed.

C9606063-9FDA-47ED-B93A-34D7E44D6A49.jpeg

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

While I have the R5 instead of the R3, I hope some of this might be helpful.

You did not mention how you are viewing the shutter speed. The shutter speed is recorded in more than one place in the exif data. Also, in some cases it is recorded as a ratio and rounded for display by some programs but not by others. Also, some values are represented by binary scaled integers and displayed as fractions. 1/64 might be stored as the binary value 00000001 and scaled by 10000000. 1/60 scaled by 256 would be 4.266666666666666496 in decimal while 1/64 scaled by 256 would be 4.0 in decimal.

One recent image from my camera has the following in the metadata of the CR3 file:

• [EXIF:Image] Exposure Time : 1/60
  • [EXIF:Image] Shutter Speed Value : 1/64
  • [MakerNotes:Camera] Shutter Speed Range : Manual: Hi 1/8123; Lo 31.9; Auto: Hi 1/8123; Lo 31.9
  • [MakerNotes:Image] Target Exposure Time : 1/64
  • [Composite:Image] Shutter Speed : 1/60

I used this command line to obtain the information:

exiftool -G0:2 -U IMG_0729.CR3

Also, I found this paragraph in the camera manual:

"To coordinate exposure compensation in ½-stop increments with ISO speed set in ⅓-stop increments when [ : Exposure level increments] is set to [1/2-stop] and used with ISO Auto, exposure compensation is further adjusted by adjusting shutter speed. However, the shutter speed displayed will not change."

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

jorthman
Apprentice

Hi, I have also encountered this problem.  First while on a shoot when I added an on camera flash while in still photo mode and again recently while setting up the video mode on the camera.    Also note that the shutter speeds have strange denominators such as 176.3 (1/176.3) and will change by small increments (1/176.3 to 1/175.3) when  attempting to change using the main dial.  When I tap on the shutter speed on the display panel it allows the main dial to adjust the denominator by increments of one but the quick control dial make larger jumps (of presumably 1/3 stop, the math there is too hard to do in my head).  In both instances I had anti-flicker turned on and turning it off resolved the issue while in video mode.  This is very unexpected behavior.  During the shoot I did not have time to troubleshoot the issue and had to change to a different camera body.  There should be some indication on the viewfinder as to what is happening and how to modify the situation. But hope this helps if you encounter the situation again.

I recommend that you read through [my] previous posts above.

Your issue is not a “problem”.  It is how the camera is designed to behave.  The behavior can be adjusted and modified by the user.

I was able to reach a person at Canon Professional Services and speak with them. It's the anti-flicker mode. You either turned it on or turned it on by mistake. If you turn it off, that will resolve the issue. 

Announcements