cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon M50 Mark II Display issues

AlphaWolfGaming
Contributor

I bought this camera for streaming and other recording purposes. unfortunately, it is not working out how i was hoping at this point. I can not figure out the settings to work so that the camera display will not shut off unless i choose. I automatically shuts off at 30 minutes or less depending on what its set at and there is no disable option for it. I've tried everything I can, or have reserached, but can't figure anything out. Is there any possible way to keep this from happening, so that not only can I stream games without this problem, but so i can also be able to record videos elsewhere for longer than 30 minutes. that was the whole point of me buying this to begin with

13 REPLIES 13

Greetings AlphaWolfGaming,

Canon cameras, like the EOS M50 Mark II, will have the sensor turn off after 29 minutes and 59 seconds when using the Live View shooting mode and when the camera is set to the video recording mode. This would also include when using the HDMI port to send a live signal from the camera to an external device. This occurs even if you have set the camera to not power off under the power saving feature. Pressing the shutter button halfway will turn the sensor turn back and you will be able to see through your display or external device again. Unfortunately, this function cannot be modified on the camera.

An alternative option for streaming for longer periods of time would be to use our EOS Webcam Utility where users are able to connect the camera to a computer with a USB cable and use the camera as a webcam. You may click on the following link to view more information on the EOS Webcam Utility. Please note that this software will not work with the camera's HDMI port.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi AlphaWolfGaming,

I see in the other replies you are using an HDMI cable. Unfortunately the EOS M50 Mark II is not able to continue HDMI output beyond 30 minutes. When it reaches that point the camera will stop the output and it would need to be taken out of sleep mode to start the output again.

You are able to continue passed the 30 minute mark using an USB connection and the EOS Webcam Utility. That output is able to continue as long as the camera has power. If you would like to try that software it is available HERE. Once you are on the web page click on the Software & Drivers button and the current version is EOS Webcam Utility Pro 2.0.30. Once that is installed connect the camera and computer directly with a USB cable, open your streaming or conferencing service, and when you go to select the camera you will have the option for EOS Webcam Utility. Select that and it will start using the video feed from the camera.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are all Canon cameras limited to 30 minutes of video on the HDMI port? If not, is there a list somewhere showing which cameras are limited?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you are using an HDMI connection, then you do not need the EOS Webcam Utility.  I believe the EOS M50 Mark II has a “Clean HDMI” output option.  The M50 Mark II User Guide tells you how to set it up.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements