cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel T7 Focus function

J_P
Contributor

I am really confused. I have recently purchased a used but like-new Rebel T7 that seems to work fine but the focus function, in general and in the 'Scene intelligent Auto / A+' doesn't seem to function as described in the manual. I try to press hte shutter button down halfway but I'm not sure what halfway is. No dots inside any AF points flash at all, as far as I can tell. No beeper sounds even though on the menu it says 'Beep Enable'. No focus indicator in the viewfinder lights up. When I'm inside in low light, the built-in flash is raised and used automatically. The camera seems to take pictures fine so I think I must not be doing something correctly as the focus function doesn't seem to do any of the things the manual says it will do. What am I doing wrong?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Either way, the OP needs to put the camera in front of someone who knows how to analyze this.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

J_P
Contributor

Good news (and thanks to all in the community for the feedback). I have a friend who once had a Canon Rebel T3 and I was showing her my T7. She was as mystified as I initially. She's not that familiar with the T7 menus & display but was messing around with them and noticed that the lens aperture didn't seem to be being read or reflected in some of the displays, so we were worried something was amiss with the lens, even tho nothing seemed obvious. I took the lens off and reattached it and, voilà, it worked like a champ. I feel a bit foolish, but at least the solution was simple.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If you don't know anyone with a Canon camera, go to a local zoo some Saturday, go up to someone with a Canon Rebel (preferably someone with multiple lenses), explain your issue, and swap cameras.

It could be that the shutter button is broken and the half-press is not working. It should be pretty obvious.

Either way, the OP needs to put the camera in front of someone who knows how to analyze this.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

J_P
Contributor

Good news (and thanks to all in the community for the feedback). I have a friend who once had a Canon Rebel T3 and I was showing her my T7. She was as mystified as I initially. She's not that familiar with the T7 menus & display but was messing around with them and noticed that the lens aperture didn't seem to be being read or reflected in some of the displays, so we were worried something was amiss with the lens, even tho nothing seemed obvious. I took the lens off and reattached it and, voilà, it worked like a champ. I feel a bit foolish, but at least the solution was simple.

Announcements