cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel T7 Focus function

J_P
Contributor

I am really confused. I have recently purchased a used but like-new Rebel T7 that seems to work fine but the focus function, in general and in the 'Scene intelligent Auto / A+' doesn't seem to function as described in the manual. I try to press hte shutter button down halfway but I'm not sure what halfway is. No dots inside any AF points flash at all, as far as I can tell. No beeper sounds even though on the menu it says 'Beep Enable'. No focus indicator in the viewfinder lights up. When I'm inside in low light, the built-in flash is raised and used automatically. The camera seems to take pictures fine so I think I must not be doing something correctly as the focus function doesn't seem to do any of the things the manual says it will do. What am I doing wrong?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Either way, the OP needs to put the camera in front of someone who knows how to analyze this.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

J_P
Contributor

Good news (and thanks to all in the community for the feedback). I have a friend who once had a Canon Rebel T3 and I was showing her my T7. She was as mystified as I initially. She's not that familiar with the T7 menus & display but was messing around with them and noticed that the lens aperture didn't seem to be being read or reflected in some of the displays, so we were worried something was amiss with the lens, even tho nothing seemed obvious. I took the lens off and reattached it and, voilà, it worked like a champ. I feel a bit foolish, but at least the solution was simple.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Welcome to the forum JP.

First thing to do when you get a used camera is to go to the menu and reset the camera to factory default - it's in the wrench section of the menu.  That should clear any customization by a previous owner.

A lot depends on what you are focusing on.  The camera focusing system wants some clearly defined object - by brightness or colour or whatever in order to find focus.  If you happen to point at something that does not have that clear definition the camera will not focus and you will not get any reaction from it.  When the flash pops up it usually flashes a light to get enough exposure to focus and then takes the image using the flash.

As far as half-way down on the shutter button goes.  If you can get the camera to focus, there is a (hopefully) clear resistance when you gently press the shutter button.  That is when the camera is finding focus and you should get the colour indicator and beep from the camera.  Like anything else it will take a few tries to get used to.

One point of note: whatever you do, DO NOT try to focus the 18-55 lens (if that is what you have) manually, without setting the switch on the lens to MF unless the lens has the characters STM written on it at the front or around the barrel near the camera body.  If you do so, the lens autofocus mechanism can get out of kilter and not work properly.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

J_P
Contributor

Thank you. I actually did try doing the reset because I thought that might have something to do with the beeber. However, now when I turn on the menu and scroll thru the wrenches, I don't see any options for doing a reset anymore at all, so now I seem to have taken a step backwards. I also just did try focusing on something specific and it still doesn't beep or flash. Thanks for the tip on manual focus. I may have messed and turned the dial to M and tried focusing. I hope that didn't screw things up. BTW, I do have the 18-55 lens attached and and the AF/MF switch is set to AF. I guess I will continue messing with it but it is a bit annoying. The only time I've gotten it to beep is when I set the 2 second self timer. I want to understand how the focus works because I need to be able to photograph relatively small artifacts, as in 30 to 200 mm in length, and I want to be able to mess with the focus, apeture and f stops to get good resolution and depth of field. I really need to understand the basics of how this camera focuses if I'm going to do that. Thanks for your answer tho, and trying to help a dim-witted user.

Depending on the mode you are using, you will not see the full menus. Set the camera to Av Tv or M and look again

cheers, TREVOR

Thank you again! Yes, I switched to Av and there they are. I KNEW those options had been there before. Honestly, I have not used any camera beyond my iPhone for years (I once used & still have an Olympus OM-10, plus telephoto lens, that I did lug to various parts of the globe once, but then, really, why do that anymore). A colleague loaned me a Nikon D40 and it was enough to tell me I needed something better than either for my intended purpose. Now, all I have to do is figure out DSLRs in general and my Canon EOS T7 in particular. If I could just get past the 'Basic Shooting' chapter in the manual, it would be less frustrating. Thanks again.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I have something that may help.  If you are a member of your local library, log onto their website and look in the catalogue for an entry for LinkedIn Learning (or Lynda.com).   If it is available, it is an on-line training resource that provides excellent training in all sorts of fields, including photography. Access is Free via your library.

Follow the links on the catalogue to get to the logon for LinkedIn Learning, input your library credentials and then do a search for :

1. 'How to use your Canon Camera'
after you have gone through that, look for a series called "Photography Foundations" (with Ben Long).

The videos on this site are excellent. Presented by skilled tutors and photographers, this site covers everything from the basics to advanced topics.

If the library doesn't have the listing, you can go straight to https://www.linkedin.com/learning and get a free month.

cheers, TREVOR

Thank you once again. I'll give it a shot. You've been beyond helpful!

If this resolves your issues, please mark one of my posts as a resolution, and folks won't keep trying to solve it, and others may find it helpful.  You can always come back with more questions! 😊

cheers, TREVOR

J_P
Contributor

Sadly, nothing seems to have resolved the problem. I have cleared settings under Av, Tv, P and M - anywhere that would let me clear settings. The original issues with the AF point not flashing red, the beeper not sounding and the focus indicator not lighting up - none of those issues have been resolved. I very much appreciate the help and advice but I can't mark the issue as resolved since it is not. Thanks tho.

I think you need to spend time learning more about photography with a camera.  That is why I suggested that you access the site I recommended.  Another site is on You Tube by Nat Geo photographer Chris Bray HERE .

So, I suggest you stop.  Take a breath.  Watch the video by Chris Bray and then use your camera with the tutorial on the LinkedIn website (they encourage you to work with the video). 

I would also recommend visiting a local camera community and seek a contact with a mentor there.  They can look at your camera, identify if there is an issue and help get it sorted.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements