cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel T3 not taking out pictures

ricki2014
Contributor

I have my camera since 2010. lastweek I tried taking out pictures and realise I wasnt getting a focus but I took a picture. Now today, I am pressing the shutter button but nothing.

I have a stock lense EFS 18-55MM and its on the Canon EOS Rebel T3.

I took the lense out and cleaned the contacts, and replaced the lense, this did not helped. I also did a manual reset on the features but that didnt help either.

Please help me.

23 REPLIES 23

pjmacd
Enthusiast
I hate to ask the obvious question, but… is your battery charged? Even if it is, if the battery is 3-4 years old like the camera, it may have lost its ability to charge properly. What you have already done is certainly worth trying. You might also try a new SD card in the camera - they can get corrupted. I don't know if that would cause your shutter not to fire, but corrupted SD cards can cause all sorts of weird malfunctions.

pjmacd,

That is just the thing, my battery is fully charged. However, when i click on the shutter I am hearing that sound when its trying to auto focus but softly . Looking through my view finder, all i see is a blur image.

My SD card is not the issue, since i swapped and tried with another card.. This thing is just behaving crazy all of a sudden.

I dont want to think worst case , but could it be the CMOS on the camera itself?

I am praying its nothign to big. Any other suggestion I am open to giving it a shot.

Thank very much doh for the quick respond.

Put the lens in Manual focus and then try to get a sharp focus using the viewfinder. Make sure the diopter adjustment is set correctly for you eyesight.

You should be able to see a sharp image in the viewfinder even with the camera turned off or with a dead battery.  If you can't then your lens has a problem. I would then take it to a local camera store for a second opinion just to be sure. 

Mike Sowsun

Good day,

I just tried it and I was able to get a picture. However I realsie on my screen the point only the bottom sets lit up red when i clicked on the shutter and I heard that sound I would usually heard when the auto focus was in action.

Could it be my lense?

You have two separate issues here I believe...... Neither one is related to your lens. 

When you have your camera in Manual mode, the -3 means you have the camera set to underexpose by 3 (or more) stops. This can give you a black photo. You should not use Manual mode until you better understand the relationship between Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO. I would recommend using Program mode or Av or Tv mode.  

Your focus point selection can prevent you from taking a photo.  If the red square focus point is not on a subject with good contrast, focus will not be attained and the camera will not let you shoot.

Learn how to select the center point (because it has better focus sensor) or use the default of all points and I think that will solve your shooting problem. 

_T3.jpg

Mike Sowsun

Hey Mike,

Indded I understand the underexposure and I have been taking pictures since 2010 with this Camera, no problems. I used the stock settings and after doing my course, i understtod the aperture, shutter speed and ISo, however I just dont understand how I can pickup my camera and it stop taking Pictures.

I have gone thru all the basics to ensure in ruling out the possibilites. I am surrently reading back all my notes and refreshing my memories about it all. Its always good to refresh the memory.

I willcontinue researching and understanding some more. I still unclear why my camera is behaving such way. I intend to get to the bottom of this. I am a photography and I need my camera to shoot.

I am going to try and change the exposure to not underexpose to be be normal. I usually shoot in Manual since i have freedom of my shoots. I have perfected in shoot in this mode, but what are the odds.

So i tried shooting on Program mode and its working perfect, I come to the conclusion that my manual mode is screwed up. I did however had my brother use my camera a day but i was present, now i have to backtrack and see what he did in Maunal mode. Thank very much for helpingme out,

I will keep posting of any weird behavious experience.

However what are the basic settings I should in manual mode?

It sounds like you just got out of practice...

In the Auto modes, the camera will try to center the exposure meter for you.  You can over ride it and set - or + exposure compensation to lighten or darken the image.

In Manual mode it is up to you to select the aperture, shutter speed and ISO to get the meter in the center. If you can't get the meter near the center, then it is simply too dark. 

If you have all the AF points selected, and are shooting normal contrast type subjects, the camera should be able to get some kind of focus and let you shoot. 

Sometimes dirt or dust can get on the AF sensors (which live under the Mirror) and that can cause AF problems.  

_af1.jpg

_af2.png

Mike Sowsun

Hey,

So i have been tryingin all the different modes, I might get one picture and then nothing. You know usually one will hear the shutter speed and heard the sound when it focuses. That is not heard. plus wheni click half way on the shutter button nothing happens.

I am doing up some reading and hope to find answers.

Its Carnival here in Trinidad and Tobago so on Wednesday i will be taking it to a Canon technician to help resolve if I still have problems.

With a "half-press" of the shutter the camera should AF and also meter the scene. If that is not happening you may have a bad shutter button.

*Removed videos per forum guidelines: http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/Forum-Info/Forum-Guidelines/m-p/15

Mike Sowsun
Announcements