cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS RP adapter compatibility

Lucapoeschl
Apprentice

Hello,

My granddad has a Canon EOS RP, and I recently received a Rokinon AF 14mm f/2.8 FE lens for Sony E from a friend. I noticed that these two are not directly compatible with each other.

My question is: Is there an adapter I can buy to make these two components compatible?

Thanks for the help!

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Negative.  I am not aware of any such adapter, Sone E Mount to Canon RF Mount.  If you do find one for sale somewhere, it is probably bogus and will not work, at all.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

flyingron
Contributor

Technically it is possible, but such mounts tend to be purely mechanical adapters which means you'll lose autofocus, automatic aperature stop down, full open metering, etc.... and all of the other stuff you come to know and love on designed for the Canon lenses.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

The Rokinon is a nice lens offering a 115* FOV on a full frame body.  I have the 12mm which offers 180*.  Alas however, you'll want to get the Canon EF mount version to use it with a Canon Adapter as Waddizzle suggests.  

These lenses are popular for astrophotography. If your friend sold you this lens, I'd return it and ask for my money back

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

That lens is an electronic lens, which means that its aperture and focus are controlled by commands sent from the camera. The focus ring on the lens is just an electronic controller which sends input information to the camera. This kind of lens is often called "fly-by-wire".

The problem is that the command protocols that the different manufacturers use are proprietary and incompatible. So there is no way your Canon camera could communicate with a lens made for Sony, or vice versa, and as far as I know no adapter whch could translate their protocols. So, no.

If you want to know more about lens compatibility, I wrote an article on that:

https://moonblink.info/MudLake/gear/lenses

The section "Foreign Lens on Your Camera" applies here.

Announcements