cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R7 - How to Choose H or H+ Shooting Speeds

RIG
Apprentice

On my EOS R7 when it is drive mode and shutter mode mechanical, I can't choose H or H+ shooting speeds. How can I solve this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My problem was that the camera wasn't letting me choose H or H+ in the mechanical shutter mode.  It must have been a setting I choose in another menu that blocked the choice.  I just solved the problem by doing a complete reset. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

I don't have an R7, but I have read and researched quite a bit on the subject.  To get to use the H and H+ shutter speeds, you seem to need to switch to electronic shutter.  At that point you should be able to get to up to 30 FPS.  I recommend you review your manual and look specifically for references to shutter speed and electronic shutter.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

You can shoot in H and H+ in mechanical, EFCS and electronic shutter.... the only difference is you get different frame rates. With -
mechanical shutter: L=3fps, H=6.5fps, H+=15fps
With EFCS: L=3fps, H= 8fps, H+=15fps
With ES: L=3fps, H=15fps, H+=30fps

One feature that stops H and H+ being available is turning on the auto-horizon levelling feature. This is where the sensor is actually rotated to straighten the horizon, as distinct from the 2-axis elelctronic level shown in the EVF. It removes the ability to choose EFCS, allows mechical shutter but greys out H and H+. It allows H and H+ in electronic shutter mode. So it is the levelling feature causing the issue, but you are right in saying you get H/H+ in electronic shutter mode, even when the levelling feature is turned on.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I recommend you check out this review of the R7 by respected wildlife photographer, Duade Paton:
HERE 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You need a USB Type C male to USB Type C male cable.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I think this post actually refers to another thread Bill.

cheers, TREVOR

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi RIG,

The H and H+ drive modes are available on the EOS R7 when it is in mechanical shutter mode. There are a few things that the camera needs to use the H+ mode. Those are listed on the manual page HERE and I've included them below as well:

• H+ enables approx. 15 shots/sec. continuous shooting speed when set to [Elec. 1st-curtain] or [Mechanical] under these conditions.

• Room temperature (23°C/73°F)
    • Using any of the following power sources

• Fully charged LP-E6NH (note that continuous shooting speed may become slower when using batteries with weak recharge performance)
      • Household power outlet accessories (sold separately)
      • USB power adapters (sold separately)
    • Shutter speed: 1/1000 sec. or faster
    • Flicker reduction: None

Thanks so much for that clarification! 😊

cheers, TREVOR

My problem was that the camera wasn't letting me choose H or H+ in the mechanical shutter mode.  It must have been a setting I choose in another menu that blocked the choice.  I just solved the problem by doing a complete reset. 

One of the Noise Reduction or Image Enhancement settings restricts your range of available ISO settings at the low end.  It might Highlight Tone Priority.  Disable all of them if you are shooting RAW.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements