cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R6 MK II - Hot Pixels or Stuck Pixels ?

azvm
Contributor

Hello to everyone,

I have bought a Canon R6 MKII about 6 months ago.

And i notice some red dots on a pictures with some long exposure 5s to 10s and iso around 400/800.

I have done sensor cleaning and manual cleaning to see if they go away, but they only reduce the brightness and size, and now i see white and red dots, small but a lot.

I attach the image after the cleaning.317A4223.JPGzoom_300.jpg

Can some one give me some opinion ?

Thank You/ Kind Regard's

Vitor

21 REPLIES 21

Peter
Authority
Authority

I had guarantee in January 2023, but all sensors have the same issue. The R3 in the link above had around 400 at 15 seconds and ISO 6400.

So to deal with it in your case:

• Remove them in post in your raw converter
  • Use a dark frame (LENR)
  • Shoot at ISO 12800 and above (auto removal with R3, R5, R6, R6 II)
  • Sensor cleaning method (works best with hot pixels at short shutter speed)
  • Cool down the sensor

Sony tried to deal with hot pixels with an auto removal feature. I think you have heard about star eaters and Sony.

Never heard, on that from Sony, i was for long term a Canon and Sony shooter, but on the last 5 years, i own Fuji cameras, and did not have any of this issues.

On my oldest canon in 2007 i had the same problem with hot pixels.

Sony removed all the stars also, not only hot pixels.

If your Fujifilm doesn't show hot pixels it may have a built-in hot pixel suppression feature, see what I wrote about your R6 II at ISO 12800 and above. With 6D it happens already at ISO 6400, see my raw files here and compare them side by side. Don't use a raw converter that auto removes hot pixels if you want to see the difference (Adobe) https://kameratrollet.se/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/hot-pixels-ISO6400vsISO3200.zip

Peter

On mine it show on low ISO, dont know why and high ISO does not shows, and with the LNR and LNER turned off always. 

I will see my test on different ISO with the LNR and LNER turned on, and i will give some feedback.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I also recommend you stop trying to clean the sensor.

You can map out the pixels here is a basic method that I believe works on most Canon cameras

1. Make sure you have a fully charged battery.
  2. Detach lens and put the camera body cap on.
  3. Go into your menus and find Sensor cleaning.
  4. Select Clean manually.
  5. Let it run for 60 seconds, turn off the camera.
  6. Turn it back on and try it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

My clean method - referred before - was that, on camera only and blower to remove dust from sensor.

On this process, i notice the reduce of bright of the hot pixels, only, they did not go away.

azvm
Contributor

Hello!

I send the camera to Canon, as warranty, and today i have received they thought about this.317A4198_sensor_dust.JPGhotpixels_zoom.jpgsample.jpg

- For them this is not Hot Pixels, is sensor dust, and i have to pay 121 Euros - to clean.

Can you believe on this ?

Kind Regard's to All

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Cleaning does not get rid of hot pixels. It is a problem in the actual silicon, below any filter or bayer array.

Your right! but Canon support says it is Dust on Sensor and to clean to pay 121 Euros.

Very Bad Service!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You think it "bad service" because Canon wants to charge you for the sensor cleaning service? What planet do you live on?

What company does any kind of routine maintenance service for free? Canon didn't get the dust on it. You did!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements