cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R5 magenta dots on my images

Lindakasian
Apprentice

Hello.

I purchased a new Canon EOS R5 in February 2022 couple months ago I've noticed magenta dots in my images they appear randomly in different sizes when I zoom in Photoshop. Is this a sensor cleaner issue? They don look like pixels, have more organic feel some of them aper to have white inside 

Thank you in advance!

PXL_20221013_021456358.jpg

PXL_20221013_021456358.jpg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The fact that the spots appear on your images, suggest that they are on the sensor.  Do you remember to turn off the camera if you switch lenses?   With MILCs in particular, if you open the lens mount to switch lenses, because the sensor is exposed, it will attract foreign particles like a magnet.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

the shape of the dots looks like water droplets by the way it refracts.  if you go to manual cleaning mode, the shutter will open for access to cleaning and you can see if something is on the sensor.  The R5's shutter remains closed when changing lenses so the only real way to get dust on the sensor is if you swap lenses with the camera still on (I've done that mistakenly once or twice)

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The fact that the spots appear on your images, suggest that they are on the sensor.  Do you remember to turn off the camera if you switch lenses?   With MILCs in particular, if you open the lens mount to switch lenses, because the sensor is exposed, it will attract foreign particles like a magnet.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Wow Trevor, thanks for that warning and reminder.  I'll admit to being occasionally careless about switching the camera off when changing lenses. 

Thank you so much for your reply, I didn't know that about switching lenses! 

Peter
Authority
Authority

As always, upload raw samples. Use a filehost.

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

the shape of the dots looks like water droplets by the way it refracts.  if you go to manual cleaning mode, the shutter will open for access to cleaning and you can see if something is on the sensor.  The R5's shutter remains closed when changing lenses so the only real way to get dust on the sensor is if you swap lenses with the camera still on (I've done that mistakenly once or twice)

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

Thank you! Now I know 🙂

Announcements