cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R "M mode"

docusync
Enthusiast

I shoot a lot with strobes in the M mode. Pretty much always I need my ISO to stay at 100.

So I set it to 100 and shoot, but it goes back to Auto if I look at the taken images (view/play mode).

This is extremely annoying - I've ruined lots of images because I have to remember to dial the ISO down after each "chimping".

Is there a way to have the ISO permanently locked as it supposed to be in the M mode? Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Have you tried one of the C modes?

@kvbarkley wrote:

Actually, I was going to ask that question, but in the other direction. The cameras I've owned have seemed more likely to revert to their specified settings in the C modes. I might suspect that the OP's camera is already in a C mode and that that's why it's reverting.

IIRC, the most recent members of the 5D series have a setting that tells it not to revert in such a situation. I'd expect the R to behave similarly.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

Actually, I was going to ask that question, but in the other direction. The cameras I've owned have seemed more likely to revert to their specified settings in the C modes. I might suspect that the OP's camera is already in a C mode and that that's why it's reverting.

IIRC, the most recent members of the 5D series have a setting that tells it not to revert in such a situation. I'd expect the R to behave similarly.

That thought crossed my mind, too.  Except the OP says that his camera is in Manual shooting mode.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

That thought crossed my mind, too.  Except the OP says that his camera is in Manual shooting mode.  

When you create a C mode configuration, doesn't it preserve whatever dial mode you were in? And can't that be M?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

When you create a C mode configuration, doesn't it preserve whatever dial mode you were in? And can't that be M?

Yes.  But when you open the Quick Menu or Info screen the shooting mode would show “C1m”, for Custom Mode 1.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Guys, thanks for your replies. I tried different scenarious today, and was able to isolate the issue.

My M-Fn bar is set to ISO, and I'm also using a ring adapter, which is set to ISO as well (much more convenient compared to the bar).

If I set the ISO to Auto or any particular number via the settings (Q/Set) - it stays there no matter what I do (good!).

Now, if it's set to Auto via Q/Set, and I want to dial it down to 100 via the M-Fn bar or the ring - that's where it doesn't work. I mean it works, but only if I keep shooting and don't chimp. A switch to the view mode kills it and turns into Auto. If I set the ISO to a number, and then change to a different number via the ring - everything seems ok.

Seems buggy / unpredictable to me, but at least now I have a workaround (use the Q/Set button and do not rely on the ring).

Announcements