cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Mark iii vs Mark iii

leonardtrubia
Apprentice

What is the difference between Canon 5D EOS Mark iii and 5D Mark iii.

Just not sure if EOS is a lesser camera (professional?)

Thanks 

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Canon only made one 5D MK III...  you can call it whatever you like, but there is only one.

5D MK III

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Just not sure if EOS is a lesser camera (professional?)"

The 5 series and the 5D Mk III are all extremely nice and capable semi-pro cameras. The correct naming is EOS 5D Mark III.  EOS stands for Electro-Optical System. In the 5 series line up there is the 5D, 5D Mk II, 5D Mk III and 5D Mk IV.  There is no 5D Mk I but some mistakenly call the 5D that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Just not sure if EOS is a lesser camera (professional?)"

The 5 series and the 5D Mk III are all extremely nice and capable semi-pro cameras. The correct naming is EOS 5D Mark III.  EOS stands for Electro-Optical System. In the 5 series line up there is the 5D, 5D Mk II, 5D Mk III and 5D Mk IV.  There is no 5D Mk I but some mistakenly call the 5D that.

There's actually a double meaning to the term. In addition to the acronym Ernie cites, In Greek mythology "Eos" is the goddess of the dawn. I think Canon is aware of that, as I've seen a Canon video in which the narrator pronounced it "EE-awss" rather than spelling it out.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

EOS is a generic name for Canon DSLR's. All Canon DSLR's are EOS cameras.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@leonardtrubia wrote:

What is the difference between Canon 5D EOS Mark iii and 5D Mark iii.

Just not sure if EOS is a lesser camera (professional?)

Thanks 

In normal use, both descriptions,  with or without "EOS", would apply to the same camera model.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements