cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS M not turning on!!

Tavypooh
Apprentice

I recently bought an EOS M with a lens; all I had at the start was the lens, body, and battery-- everything was working and all I needed was to get an SD card. Once I finally did, every time I insert it into the camera, it rapidly blinks green but not turn on. Whenever I remove the card, the screen turns on. I tried testing it with a friend's SD card, and it worked so it must just be mine, right?

Did everything I could possible-- reformatting the card, checking if its damaged (result: works on other cameras), cleaning the insert slot. The SD card I got is a SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro SDXC with 200MB/S.

It would be very much appreciated if anyone has a possible solution! If it is an issue with the card, please let me know if there is a recommended alternative!

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
Where did you get your card from?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I got it off of Amazon

Hmmm.  I hate to say this but there are a lot of counterfeit cards out there.  Amazon is home to some fine vendors, but there are also cases of folks getting less than genuine stuff from others who sell - does the vendor have a high reliability rating and do they have a warranty?

I would suggest trying a card from a reputable store, like B&H or another vendor who is in your area.  It may be you got one that is a dud, or not a SanDisk genuine unit.   Cameras can be picky about what they will read.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Where you buy is almost as important as what you buy.  Your camera needs a full size memory card (not micro SD) with an adapter.  It should be the correct speed rating /classification for your camera.  

Unfortunately, there are stores (often marketplace sellers) who offer counterfeit media.  (Both knowingly and unknowingly). If another card is working on your camera, the one your purchased is probably defective, or not authentic.  I'd return it and buy from a reputable store.  It's likely the next one you get will be fine.

It's hard to say at this point where the problem lies. You said the card worked on another camera, but not yours, and that a friend's card worked in your camera.  I'd try a new card in your camera and see where that takes you.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements