cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 90D- External Flash

michellenjuan
Apprentice

I am considering purchasing the EOS 90D.  Can you use an external hotshoe flash with any of the preset shooting modes?  I currently own a 70D and Canon Speedlite 430 EX111.  The flash will not fire when I am using any of the preset modes. As a novice photographer, this is frustrating for me. 

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@michellenjuan wrote:

I am considering purchasing the EOS 90D.  Can you use an external hotshoe flash with any of the preset shooting modes?  I currently own a 70D and Canon Speedlite 430 EX111.  The flash will not fire when I am using any of the preset modes. As a novice photographer, this is frustrating for me. 

If by "preset shooting mode" you mean the Basic Shooting modes, then the behavior that you describe, not being able to use flash in Basic shooting modes on the 70D, is common to ALL Canon DSLR cameras, including the 90D.

For some of the modes, you would not want to have a flash firing, anyway.  For example,  if the flash fire in Sports mode, then you run the very high risk of temporarily blinding an athlete, which could lead to a fall and serious injury.

If the onboard, built-in flash does not fire in a given shooting mode, then an external flash probably will not fire, either.  Using an external flash unit is a step outside of the box of Basic shooting modes.  You need to use one of the Creative shooting modes when using an external flash: P, Tv, Av, or M.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The flash will not fire when I am using any of the preset modes."

What is the desired result you are trying to achieve? I, agree, adding off camera flash is a more advanced part of photography.

And, the basic preset modes are pre-programmed to work how they work because they are specifically designed to.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Sometimes my pictures come out too dark in indoor settings and the built in flash does not provide even lighting.  Perhaps, I just need to spend more time learning how to use my camera;(  I thought an external flash would be an easy fix. 

@michellenjuan wrote:

Sometimes my pictures come out too dark in indoor settings and the built in flash does not provide even lighting.  Perhaps, I just need to spend more time learning how to use my camera;(  I thought an external flash would be an easy fix. 

The built-in flash is quite weak, probably to preserve battery life.  It is not very effective at being the primary light source for subject beyond 5-10 feet, depending upon remaining battery charge.  It is most useful as a fill flash, which does not mean that it is good at the task.

The best mode to learn how to use the camera is probably P mode.  Once you learn how DSLs work, you can operate just about any DSLR.

Note, learning how to use the camera is not the same as learning about photography.  I like to compare it getting a **bleep**.  First, you must learn the rules of the road, how to read a map, what street signs mean, etc.  Second, you must learn how to operate a motor vehicle.  The two learning curves are joined at the hip and inseparable, which is why many people conflate the two,  and some never realize or recognize the differences.

Being a competent photographer is no different.  You must learn the basics of photography, and you must learn the basics of how cameras work.  As noted, P mode is the best mode to learn about the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements