cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 350D/EOS Rebel XT: Which driver to use to read the card?

canon2u
Contributor

This page does not show what each is used for.  

WIA Driver 5.6.0 for Windows XP > WA560EN seems to be obvious.  But it didn't work.

Why don't they list what each is used for?  What is a WIA driver?  

19 REPLIES 19

IIRC, modern versions of Windows don't support the protocol that early Rebels used to communicate with a computer. In at least some cases you can tell the camera to use the newer protocol instead. But the easy, reliable solution is to use a card reader.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
try switching camera to PTP mode.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Nope.  Tried it in PNP and the other one.  Its like its dead.  Yet I was using this way before.

@canon2u wrote:

Nope.  Tried it in PNP and the other one.  Its like its dead.  Yet I was using this way before.

Well, you can buy a card reader (cheap) or a new camera (not so cheap). If you use this incident as an excuse to do the latter, you'll probably be impressed at how far things have progressed since the 350D was current.  Smiley Happy

But first be sure that you've actually tried John's suggestion. PTP and PNP aren't necessarily the same thing.

Bob

PTP is in Communication. Didn't see any PNP. 

Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) is a protocol developed by the International Imaging Industry Association to allow the transfer of images from digital cameras to computers and other peripheral devices without the need of additional device drivers

It is standardized for USB by the USB Implementers Forum as the still image capture device class.

If this doesn't work, something else is wrong!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Where is PNP?

@canon2u wrote:

PTP is in Communication. Didn't see any PNP. 

PNP generally means "Plug & Play". It was you who brought it up (in your second message of this thread). Was that just a typo or something?

Bob

My error.  So I've tried both and neither works for some bizarre reason.

Announcements