cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon AE-1 Production date by Serial numbers

AFNurseRet
Apprentice

Hello!  I just found my old Canon AE-1...think I bought it in 1978-1980 time frame...trying to figure out when it was made.... I have done looking on the internet and so far, have not found what I need to find.  I will upload the pics of the serial number on the top/outside of the camera, but also a pic of the inside code (the one that is black on black inside the camera).  any guidance on when it was produced would be great!!

IMG_1585.jpegIMG_1584.jpeg

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

My very first camera.  40+ years ago.  Often times one of the mods will jump in and can help with these types of inquiries.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yup...Was my "2nd" camera... first one was an old Argus C-3....no longer have that (DRAT!).  I was about 10-12 years old when I got the AE-1 new...had a paper-route and saved the money.  dug it out...quite a change from my current Nikon Z7ii and Z6 mirrorless cameras.  Appears to work, now want to know some details if I can find it.  

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I owned mine for 10 yrs.  What eventually ended its life.  The foam seals on the back cover and inside the body failed.  They literally disintegrated and crumbled away.  The last roll of film I shot all had a red tinge on all 4 sides of every image where light had "leaked" into the camera.  This was a sad day.  I wish I would have kept it, but by this time, digital cameras had been released,  They were in their infancy.  The repair was also $105.  A lot of money for a college student at the time.      

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

This may be of help:

Canon Ae 1 Serial Number Years - owntoka’s diary (hatenablog.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I had seen that site… if you look at the pics that I have of all the identifying marks I have, nothing lines up. Trying to sort out the “code” for the one I found on the inside….  

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The foam seals on the back cover and inside the body failed."

Easily replaced. I have had my F1n serviced twice. It still works perfectly. Walgreens', close to me, still develops film and does prints. I still have a few rolls of film from the last case I bought years upon years ago.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements