cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 90D

LuckyJames
Enthusiast

Hello Canon Experts,

I currently use a Canon T7 for landscape and night / milky way photography and have had some great results, but want to stretch. I have some nice EF and EFS lenses so want to stick with Canon EOS system. I want to upgrade my camera body and have a $2500 MAX budget. Can I please have input on the 90D for landscape / milky way / nightscape photography. It seems to have some exceptional features and some ISO / noise negative comments. Appreciate everyone's guidance and expertise.

Warm Regards - James

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Here is a tool to compare noise at various ISOs and different bodies.

Canon EOS 90D Noise Test Results (the-digital-picture.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you for your guidance, much appreciated.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Can I please have input on the 90D for landscape / milky way / nightscape photography."

This is a very simple answer and you really don't need to do much checking or reviewing. The answer is, if you are satisfied with the output from your current T7 you will be delighted with the 90D. The 90D is the best camera Canon has made in this level of camera modules ever. There is nothing the 90D does that is worse. Everything is better. The body is better. It is very much a better built camera. Better sensor. Faster frame rate. Weather sealed. More focus points and better battery life. The list is endless. It is by far better.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You just made my mind up, thank you.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have some nice EF and EFS lenses so want to stick with Canon EOS system."

If you don't have the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens get it. That along with the 90D is a killer combo and won't take a backseat to almost any other camera combo out there.

If you didn't state you wanted to stay Canon I would have recommended the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens. The 90D and the Siggy is a dream outfit!

EB

I have the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 and am really enjoying it. Thank you for your input.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 and am really enjoying it."

That is a pretty nice lens and lots of folks really like it. I like it myself. However, it isn't even in the same zip code as the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens. For one thing right off the Siggy is a constant f1.8 aperture. That is 2 stops faster and that is if you never move your 15-85mm off of 15mm!  And, keep in mind, it is a constant f1.8.  It does not vary when zooming. Two, it is scary sharp for a zoom undoubtedly one of the sharpest zoom lenses made.

EB

Oh well, it will have to join the budget line after the D90  😜

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi LuckyJames,

As other people in this thread mentioned the EOS 90D is a great step up from the EOS Rebel T7. It has more focus points to give more focusing options, it has a newer sensor and processor to improve image quality and noise reduction, and it also has more advanced options in the menus to further customize and dial in the settings you need. It uses the same lenses and memory cards your EOS Rebel T7 uses, so it is easy to switch to for those reasons as well. 

Announcements