cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D batteries keep cutting in and out

JGrizPhoto22
Apprentice

Hello everyone,

I purchased an 80D back in July of 2019 as a replacement for my T5i. I at first just had my stock body but then purchased a third party battery grip which came with 2 additional third-party batteries. Well, that was that a mistake. The batteries wouldn't recognize and I was barely able to take pictures uninterrupted for a long time. Then I decided to buy officially licensed Canon batteries since I had a bit more money to spare from photoshoots and such. Then the issue continued even with the real Canon batteries! The batteries are always charged so that isn't the issue and it always happens when I need it the most. It really screws with my professionalism when it happens during a photo shoot and I really just want to figure it out.

Sometimes it will ask if they are certified batteries and if they have the canon logo on the top (which they do) and says that Third-party batteries won't work and no matter what answer I chose (Yes or No) it always shuts off. I will usually take out my microfiber cloth and clean the batteries and the holder for the batteries inside the grip too. There is a small chance it works and I can get back to shooting more photos but the rest of the time it doesn't and still stays off.

The only thing I can think of is the grip itself is causing the issues with a bad connection from battery to the camera? I do have more money now and I noticed that an official canon battery grip is about $170. I was saving for a new lens but I'd rather have the ability to actually take photos than to take sharper photos.

Any help is greatly appreciated! It's truly upsetting to me that this keeps happening time and time again. I've missed out on so much because of this issue. Hopefully, it doesn't mean I have to get a whole new camera.

9 REPLIES 9

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

@JGrizPhoto22 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I purchased an 80D back in July of 2019 as a replacement for my T5i. I at first just had my stock body but then purchased a third party battery grip which came with 2 additional third-party batteries. Well, that was that a mistake. The batteries wouldn't recognize and I was barely able to take pictures uninterrupted for a long time. Then I decided to buy officially licensed Canon batteries since I had a bit more money to spare from photoshoots and such. Then the issue continued even with the real Canon batteries! The batteries are always charged so that isn't the issue and it always happens when I need it the most. It really screws with my professionalism when it happens during a photo shoot and I really just want to figure it out.

Sometimes it will ask if they are certified batteries and if they have the canon logo on the top (which they do) and says that Third-party batteries won't work and no matter what answer I chose (Yes or No) it always shuts off. I will usually take out my microfiber cloth and clean the batteries and the holder for the batteries inside the grip too. There is a small chance it works and I can get back to shooting more photos but the rest of the time it doesn't and still stays off.

The only thing I can think of is the grip itself is causing the issues with a bad connection from battery to the camera? I do have more money now and I noticed that an official canon battery grip is about $170. I was saving for a new lens but I'd rather have the ability to actually take photos than to take sharper photos.

Any help is greatly appreciated! It's truly upsetting to me that this keeps happening time and time again. I've missed out on so much because of this issue. Hopefully, it doesn't mean I have to get a whole new camera.

It seems that third-party battery grips have a spotty reputation at best. Remove the grip, try using just the Canon batteries in the body and see if works as it should. If it does, you probably haven't damaged your camera. Dump the off-brand grip and start setting aside some money for the genuine Canon version.

I agree with BurnUnit that you need to lose the third party grip.  If it were just a battery holder it would be simple but since the grip is also interfacing with the camera body to provide controls for "portrait" orientation there is more involved and it needs to be genuine Canon. 

For a grip, I wouldn't be averse to buying a gray market product (item/packaging not originally intended for sale in the U.S.) to save money as long as it is a genuine Canon product and not a counterfeit.  I bought a gray market Canon grip for my 5DS R shortly after I acquired it because the lack of duplicate vertical controls without the battery grip was extremely annoying to me since all of the other bodies I have shot with since 2005 were 1 series that have dual control sets as part of the design. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thank you for the response. I wasn't too familiar with how the off-brand grip would work at first since it was a Vivitar brand and they seemed to be quite reputable but from now on I will only start buying official products. It pains me to have to stop a photoshoot just because of an issue like this. Thanks again for the help.

The Vivitar brand had a good quality reputation built over decades of products and there may be some good stuff still under that brand name HOWEVER the prior owners of that brand entered bankruptcy over a decade ago and sold the VIivatar name.  A well known brand is often the only item of real value owned by a formerly great company making them a hot commodity for distressed corporations, Sears and the Craftsman tool and related products branding line are a perfect example of this issue.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

The Vivitar brand had a good quality reputation built over decades of products and there may be some good stuff still under that brand name HOWEVER the prior owners of that brand entered bankruptcy over a decade ago and sold the VIivatar name.  A well known brand is often the only item of real value owned by a formerly great company making them a hot commodity for distressed corporations, Sears and the Craftsman tool and related products branding line are a perfect example of this issue.

Rodger

The Brand V that I had in mind was Vello. If 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

As others have mentioned, use a repatable vendor.  Ebay and Amazon both have some questionable sellers.  B&H and Adorama are both great vendors.

Yeah, that's what I figured it was after awhile. I finally have some money to spare so if I can't seem to fix it, I'm going to order it asap. Thank you for the help!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I agree with the others.  Test the batteries without the grip.  I do not know your source for the Canon batteries, but do not rule out the possibility that they could be counterfeit, especially if you bought them on Amazon.  

Always make certain that you always buy camera gear from a reputable Canon Factory Authorized Dealer.  The Amazon marketplace is a breeding ground for counterfeit batteries, as well as memory cards.  Buyer beware, so steer clear of it.

[EDIT]. When it comes to 3rd party grips, I have not had a problem with Brand V on a couple of 7D2 bodies.  However, ever since Canon introduced the updated LP-E6N batteries for more recent cameras I have only bought Canon grips for used on bodies released with LP-E6N batteries.

My only complaint with the Brand V grips is that they feel different.  The Canon grips match the texture and feel of the camera body, while the Brand V grips are not quite all the way there.  The only time that you MIGHT notice the different feel of the textured surfaces is when you first rotate to portrait mode.

Similarly, the shape of the Brand V grips are not exactly the same as Canon grips.  There are probably copyright reasons behind these subtle differences.  The only time I noticed the difference is when I bought a genuine Canon grip for a 7D2, and noticed that it felt a little better than the Brand V grip I had put on a previous 7D2.  The Canon grip was a better match to the shape of the grip on the camera body.

However, I would still strongly recommend the Canon grip for the 80D.  Like the 7D2 grip, it will probably have better weather sealing than the Brand V grip, which is why I opted for the Canon grip on the 7D2 body that I kept for myself.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I believe I bought the batteries straight from Canon's official marketplace on Amazon because I needed the 2-day shipping for a big photoshoot at the time. They came in official canon packing but what you say could be true. I will definitely look at it closer in the future when I buy accessories. 

I did originally notice a difference with the transition from the grip body to the camera but after using it for a while, it was minuscule and I rarely shoot during rain or in any type of precipitation. It does make sense since they are just supposed to be copies and cheap ones at best (I think I bought the Vivitar grip on amazon for about $60 and then it also came with 2 counterfeit batteries that lasted no time at all).

I'm truly hoping that a new grip fixes the issue, I don't mind taking money out of my new lens savings to fix it. I'd rather be able to take great uninterrupted photos first than to have sharper ones. Thank you again for the help and if it does fix it, I will probably leave another comment or make a new post thanking you all for the help!

Announcements