cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D NOT Booting

dipped
Apprentice

Can a camera die if it hasnt been used for a long time?

I went as a full hands on dad when my son came, its been more than a year since I stopped using my camera ever since my boy arrived. It was well kept. Now that I've had the hang of being a dad (I wish), I took my camera out but its not turning on. Initial thought was of course its the batteries so I charged them all. I have 3 and all of them wont boot the camera. I have read an article here where his card door was the problem and it got fixed but mine is okay. Is my camera dead? If I bring it to some shop should I settle with my hopes down? 

3 REPLIES 3

dipped
Apprentice

I might try new batteries.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Can a camera die if it hasnt been used for a long time?"

In  just a year or so, the likelihood is, no. Something else is wrong. Its a cheap guess to try a new battery. It is also possible the charger isn't working. If you have a local camera repair that's probably the best place to start.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Another cheap, quick, and dirty test you can try is to remove the memory card.  Does it still not boot up?  

Do the same with the lens or any attached accessories.  Remove them.  Use a body cap to close and protect the mirror box, if you have one.  All we want is the bare bones camera and its battery.  Does it still not start up?

Does your charger indicate that the batteries have fully charged?  This may take as long as a few hours to fully recharge.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements