cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D Blurry Focus

meganacuna
Contributor

Hi all! I'm at my wits end here and hoping someone can help me. I bought a new Canon 80D in February and can't seem to get tack-sharp photos or video. I'll put a link to a video sample here so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about. This was shot with face-tracking autofocus, f/2.8, 400 ISO and 200 shutter speed with the Sigma 35mm F/1.4 lens. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

https://meganacuna.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/35mm-test.mp4

Here's a photo with a similar problem. If you zoom in on my face you can see that it's pretty blurry.

IMG_3106.JPG

12 REPLIES 12

"I’m aware of how all the basic settings work (my husband ... purposefully chose a slightly overexposed image to make sure you could see what I’m talking about."

That has nothing to do with how sharp the lens /camera is.  Maybe how pleasing it is but not sharpness.

Let me get this 'clear', all or almost all your shoots are not real sharp. Not simply this one  or just some?  You do need to get another lens and another camera. This will eliminate either as the problem.  Is the Siggy 35mil your only lens? Perhaps you got the kit lens with it that you can try.  All you need to do is shoot the things you normally shoot using both lenses. Is one very much better than the other? Perhaps you have a neighbor that has a Rebel or other Canon camera you can try the lens on.  Barring that do you have a local camera shop? They will likely let you try or even a local Best Buy. Most of these stores are pretty nice because they see you as a future customer. Maybe you even purchased your camera there?

My first impression of your shot was camera motion or shake.  Was hubby moving, too, as you were walking?  I am going to go watch your vids.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

OK, I watched to vid several times.  I had the wife watch too.  First she is a pretty girl. Neither of us think it is bad. Perhaps a little soft but that has a lot to do with two things besides camera/lens.  The monitor and the viewing distance.  Are you maybe being a little too critical?

It looks like you were using a tripod. That's good. How about posting another sample (a still) with the highest resolution the forum allows and let me put it in PS where I can judge better.

EB

This is what I would have done to your photo. It is cropped to 8x10. Opend in ACR with settings adjusted and unsharp mask applied. 

I think it looks fine!  Smiley Happy

1111.jpg

EB
Announcements