cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D died

carsonart
Apprentice

My 70D that is only 1yr 1/2 old died all of the sudden.  I have only used it lightly and have taken very good care of it.  I tried another battery thinking that may be the probelem.  Even a brand new Canon battery did not turn it on.  Just no juice, nothing.  I sent it to Canon service center, and they sent me an estimate for $224.  I called to ask what the problem was, they said they still dont know, that  was just to take a look and fix the issue if there is one.  If it is something with major damage they will contact me with a different estimate.

It worked perfectly fine one day.  I charged the battery back up, plugged it it, and just never turned back on again.  I haven't even paid off the camera yet on my best buy card, so I have a real problem with Canon charging me anything so soon, and for an obviously lightly used camera.  

Has anyone had a similar issue before?  Is having Canon do this my best option?  I read another post of someone who fixed themselves, but I'm of course leery not knowing exactly wha the problem is.  Plus I have shoots lined up, and need to act fast.

I wish they had a better program to just trade up or something, if I'm spending money anyway.

166 REPLIES 166

Interesting that Canon touted the camera's ability to "shoot video like a camcorder." Several reviewers gave one star because of the PCB failure. This has been a dark spot on Canon's otherwise great performance.

Yes, interesting. My 70D has been sent in to be repaired after speaking to Canon Service and I still don't know if I will be able to shoot video with it when I get it back!

kcartsuff
Apprentice

Hi.  So, like everyone else on this forum listing my 70D did the err 80 notification and bricked itself in June 2018 while i was in  in Malawi Africa working with a NGO.  To say I was unhappy would be a critical understatement.  I notofied my hubby to research the err80 so i knew what to do when i returned to the States.  So, I called Canon immediately after Customs while waiting for my next flight and they said $275 for diagnostics and & $265 ish for new Motherboard.  Major frustration!!

So the camera sat in my bag and in November 2018 I resolved to sell ALL my Canon equ, which is substancial since I've been shooting Canon since 1976 and a pro sports photog for several newspapers in Ohio. 300 2.8, 400 2.8, EOS 1Ds,  you get the idea, not a casual shooter.  The 70D was my easy camera for travel.

I knew this was a major issue for many 70D owners.  Yesterday I decided to search and see of there was a way to fix the camera w/o spending over $500 with Canon. and I found this forum.

I spoke with Jeff today and Canon is going to fix the camera and take care of the issue.  I was speechless. WOW!

I want to thank this forum for the info and Canon USA for making this right.

Yes, my friend. I was forced to pay $450 two years ago. But now Canon is taking responsability. In Brazil hundreds of 70D mainboards were changed, with no charge for the customer.

I'm in Australia and after being quoted $940 to replace my motherboard, I found this page. With a screen shot of the comment about Canon repairing for free I sent it off directly to Canon. They replaced the PCB for free. No communication, or advice at all, just two weeks later it arrived on my doorstep, fixed.

Thanks folks.

John99
Apprentice

I am one of the people who have had their Canon 70D suddenly stop working. It has been well used but also very well taken care of. One day its fully functional, the next day its a plastic brick. My original Canon 5D that is much older is still working fine. At this point I think its better to just save my money to purchase a newer model to replace the 70D, but it is annoying to have a major piece of equipment just suddenly stop working.

Hi John, Canon has acknowledge the problem and you must find an official service which should change the defective motherboard without charge. You must hurry, only ONE MONTH left (only until end of 2022), please google: USA Canon Service Notice EOS 70d error 70 or 80. Error might happen and camera not turn on again, you must tell that you saw an err70/80 before total failure. My camera was fixed in Argentina for no charge with new mother and now works fine.

You must have serial # starting between 00xxxxx and 22xxxxx

Announcements