cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D died

carsonart
Apprentice

My 70D that is only 1yr 1/2 old died all of the sudden.  I have only used it lightly and have taken very good care of it.  I tried another battery thinking that may be the probelem.  Even a brand new Canon battery did not turn it on.  Just no juice, nothing.  I sent it to Canon service center, and they sent me an estimate for $224.  I called to ask what the problem was, they said they still dont know, that  was just to take a look and fix the issue if there is one.  If it is something with major damage they will contact me with a different estimate.

It worked perfectly fine one day.  I charged the battery back up, plugged it it, and just never turned back on again.  I haven't even paid off the camera yet on my best buy card, so I have a real problem with Canon charging me anything so soon, and for an obviously lightly used camera.  

Has anyone had a similar issue before?  Is having Canon do this my best option?  I read another post of someone who fixed themselves, but I'm of course leery not knowing exactly wha the problem is.  Plus I have shoots lined up, and need to act fast.

I wish they had a better program to just trade up or something, if I'm spending money anyway.

166 REPLIES 166

bncanton
Contributor
Ok thank you

Canon is emailing me a mailing label and bumped my call to a customer service rep who said Canon will repair cameras that fall in this notice and MAY compensate for repair Canon did on a covered camera but will not compensate for other costs like replacing the camera. She couldn't say if that included someone who got the repair done elsewhere. I'm glad Canon finally admitted the problem and is doing something, but their delay cost me the price of an 80D and cost many others for replacements or repairs and has seriously tarnished Canon's reputation.

This is somewhat good news, but wish they'd decided this 3 months ago!  It would've saved me $550! Ugh!

I just spoke with Canon Customer Service USA and they are refunding the cost of the repairs on my Canon 70D!  Thank you for posting this here so I knew to call them!

I just got off the phone with Scott at Canon's Customer Service and repair center in Chesapeake, VA, the same Scott who about 14 months ago said Canon was not responsible for the failure of my 70D and that it might be use of non-Canon batteries that caused the problem. He called to verify that my camera is in the hands of a technician but the repair part is on backorder. He also called to respond to an email and customer service survey response I sent. One clear impression I came away with is that Canon IS working to kiss and make up. Canon has acknowledged the problem, is repairing affected cameras for free and is reimbursing people who paid for repairs earlier and might even be working on something for those of us who had to buy another camera to do our business, though I'm not holding my breath on the last item. It was also pretty clear that the bureaucracy, especially between Canon USA and Japan, is not efficient and that people who talk to consumers are far more beholden to the bureaucratic script than caring for customers. I still have many unanswered questions: Why was Canon Brazil able to offer a free repair more than a year before Canon USA on the faulty 70Ds? Is Canon Brazil operating under some different set of company rules? What REALLY changed in the Canon bureaucracy to finally acknowledge the fault? Was it really just the careful plodding of technicians evaluating "every" complaint running its course as Scott claimed? These things matter to me as I continue – or don't – to use, rely on and buy Canon photo products. As I told Scott, I'm very happy Canon has taken the steps they have, but I'm no longer an unabashed Canon evangelist. I need more kisses.

It was a major setback for me!

Thank you so much for letting me know!

I have a call into them and they are "looking into my claim" and if my camera falls in the s/n number covered and it had an 80 error I will be reimbursed for the service they performed.

Well I know it was an 80 error and have all my documentation proving it was, I am also confident it falls within the s/n number

I greatly appreciate you letting me know - I'm not sure I would have known otherwise

Regards

Beth

Vasile
Apprentice

Hello Guys, 

It is actually happening. Canon has an official announcement on their page about it here:

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_70d.aspx?type=imp...

They state that the repair will be free if it falls under certain category.

I have emailed them asking for a refund of the amount paid for repair(aprox 250 Euro).

Will let you know how they handle my request.

Have a great day!

Vasile

dfansler
Contributor
Announcements