cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D vs 60D

rigradio
Contributor

Hi guys,

I did a test to my Canon 6D & 60D both in Live View using a Canon TS-E 24mm II.

Setting: AV Priority Mode, Evaluate Metering 

On 6D: turn on the Live View Button -> press the Zoom Button and the AF Zone (white rectangle) appears.

When I move the AF Zone using Directional Button, the shutter speed not change -> the same if we set to Center Weight Metering.

On 60D: turn on the Live View Button -> AF Zone automatically appears, no need to press the Zoom Button. 

When I move the AF Zone using Directional Button, the shutter speed change.

Does anyone can explain what is the mechanical differences in the 6D & 60D body so the different behaviour happen?

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8

cicopo
Elite

I don't own either one but are you certain one isn't set to Auto ISO?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo

Thank you for the reply.

Nope, both set up at ISO100.

In that case my guess is that because they see a different field of view because of the full frame vs crop effect & the metering has adjusted the shutter speed to match. The crop body is seeing a smaller area than the full frame body & that influences it's metering which therefore influences what shutter speed is needed for the aperture setting. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo

I don't think so. I was pointing out at a high dynamic scene on that test.

I think it's related to the fact that Canon TS-E lens is a manual lens.

I am surprised the Canon 60D has this advantage on manual lens compare to 6D.

I just curious...

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Let's back up a bit... ignoring the cameras... what is it that you are trying to do?

There is no auto-focus when using a tilt-shift lens (tilt-shift lenses never have auto-focus).  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell

The Canon 6D is my first dslr I bought 1 year ago. Mostly, I shoot landscape in AV Mode. At first, I use Canon 17-40. When I'm lazy to pull my GND filter from my bag, I usually make 2 exposures: one for the sky by dragging the white rectangle up, and the other one for the ground by dragging it down. I let the camera set the proper shutter speed, and combine them later in PS. Please note, this is just my style and the way that I feel the easiest way for a newbie. 

Now, I can't do that with my TS-E 24mm. I have to use the exposure compensation since the shutter speed won't change like I said before. Something between -2/3EV for the sky & +2/3EV for the ground. Not a big problem actually.

But with Canon 60D, I still can use my "drag up & down" style. That is the different.

I'm not trying to do something here...just curious from a newbie. I wish Canon 6D could handle TS-E (manual lens) the same way as Canon 60D.

That's all...no big deal 🙂

Cheers

PS: In Live View Mode, I just found that we can still change the Metering Mode on Canon 6D, but not on 60D. A newbie is like your 5th kid, lots of questions and curiosity...LOL

Ok, now I understand what you're doing.

On the 60D if in "Live View" mode, the camera does take the meter reading from the area you select with the box.  (This is also true of my 5D III).  If I point my 60D at a scene with white and black areas and move the selected area around, the metering changes based on the location of the box.

I don't own a 6D, but I was checking the manual... they claim that if you press the metering mode button that it will display the size/area of the metering on the LCD screen -- specifically the manual indicates it will overlay this in the center of the screen.  To me this implies that the 6D's "Live View" metering works the same as viewfinder metering...  "evaluative" metering uses the full area (or at least nearly the whole area) where as spot, partial, and center-weighted all use a portion of the view for metering but always centered (e.g. spot metering is ALWAYS going to use the center point and no other area.)  Again... I don't have a 6D but this seems to be what the manual indicates it will do.

When I meter the sky and foreground I use spot metering and point the camera up and down to take the two readings.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the explanation, all you said are correct.

Just curious why Canon make 6D different. What is the advantage....

Here is another thing that I found when using auto focus lens (e.g. 50mm 1.4) in Live View + AV Mode:

- On 6D when you move the white box:

Evaluative metering --> shutter speed change

Center weight, spot, & partial metering --> shutter speed won't change

- On 60D when you move the white box:

Evaluative, center weight, spot, & partial metering --> shutter speed change

I bougt the Canon 60D about 4 months ago but never attach the TS-E before since it was modified to a full spectrum dslr. Mostly, I use it with my small refractor, until a got my 82mm Kolari 590nm 2 days ago. Well, I might want to use it to do some landscape IR photography as well.

If you have plan to photograph an object that can only possilble take from shouthern hemisphere, message me will ya... 🙂

I live in Bali anyway.

Thank you Tim

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements