Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D issues

sopta12345
Contributor

Hello to all.

I bought a 6D new.

I was impressed with iso range and all of that, it took me a time about one month that i notice issue with focus.

Abouth 30 % of pictures are sharp and accurate, 70 % was out of focus and back focuesd.

I alredy have 5d mark III and couple of lenses and i already microadjust that body and everything warks like sniper.

But what i notices this is not a regular focus issue, central point, little square inside viewfinder moving up and down, left and right.

It was tested on tripod with IS on and OFF, focusing on LensAlign chart.

This is first issue for me on Canon cameras, what do you thinh, is there any miror or sensor movment or saomething like that because this is not normal from my view point 😄

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What camera mode are you using?  Green "A" mode?  It almost sounds like the camera is selecting the AF point, instead of you specifying an AF point for the camera to use.  Manually select the center point, and use one of the creative modes, like "P".

Making AFMA adjustments can create errors if not performed with the utmost care to get consistent results.  The ambient lighting conditions can affect the testing.  The quality of the lens you use can DEFINITELY affect the test results.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Canon 6D, i shoot M mode, single point AF, RAW format, studio with 2000 w constant light tripod and shuter delay.

I wrote that i changhed i couple of Lenses, Canon 24:70 2.8, 70:200 2.8 is, 24:105 and sigma art lenses.

Making afma works perfectly on my 5dmarkIII so i am courious why center point is floating up and down, belive me its not user error 😄

@sopta12345 wrote:

Canon 6D, i shoot M mode, single point AF, RAW format, studio with 2000 w constant light tripod and shuter delay.

I wrote that i changhed i couple of Lenses, Canon 24:70 2.8, 70:200 2.8 is, 24:105 and sigma art lenses.

Making afma works perfectly on my 5dmarkIII so i am courious why center point is floating up and down, belive me its not user error 😄

Does "single point AF" mean manually selecting the center AF point?  If not, then it should if you're doing AFMA.  You should not be in AI Servo mode, either.  You should use One Shot to perform the AFMA test shots.

I have never seen the center AF point "floating up and down".  I never knew that it could move.  Now, I have seen different AF points light up as the camera searches for a focus.  Are you sure that your focusing screen isn't "floating" around?

@Waddizzle wrote:

@sopta12345 wrote:

Does "single point AF" mean manually selecting the center AF point?  If not, then it should if you're doing AFMA.  You should not be in AI Servo mode, either.  You should use One Shot to perform the AFMA test shots.

I have never seen the center AF point "floating up and down".  I never knew that it could move.  Now, I have seen different AF points light up as the camera searches for a focus.  Are you sure that your focusing screen isn't "floating" around?

Interesting point. Is it possible for the focusing screen to come loose from its moorings and wobble around more or less at random? If so, it might explain all the weird symptoms the OP is seeing. What might cause such a condition, barring something drastic like the camera being dropped?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Interesting point. Is it possible for the focusing screen to come loose from its moorings and wobble around more or less at random? If so, it might explain all the weird symptoms the OP is seeing. What might cause such a condition, barring something drastic like the camera being dropped?"

The shipping carton could have been tossed and drop kicked around during shipping.  But, I would suspect that they would pack several cameras into a single shipping carton, though.  Or, maybe it was just never properly attached, as unlikely as that seems.

Even if the focusing screen were not well attached, why would the focusing screen "float" around during focusing when the camera has been mounted on a tripod?  There no moving parts in the camera's AF system that I am aware of.  There has to be something else going on.  I'm really curious to find out what it could be.

[EDIT] ... and "float" is an interesting choice of words, too.

Yes i manually choose central point and af single mod, i never used all focus or all servo.

Belive me me neither, just when i half press shutter, center point is moving up or down, left or right, is it focusing screen or something else i dont know but  its obviusly something wrong with af beacuse nothing is suppose to move and most of the pictures are OOF.

I will not do AFMA on this body, i will send it to warranty.

I will report any changes when comes back from services for any future users that will have similar problems.

But if enyone have problem like mine please post 

Tnx

"...  belive me its not user error ..."

I am not so sure!  Sorry.  Reset the camera and clear all settings.  Start over.  Put the 6D in P mode and auto ISO and auto WB.   Try again.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...  belive me its not user error ..."

I am not so sure!  Sorry.  Reset the camera and clear all settings.  Start over.  Put the 6D in P mode and auto ISO and auto WB.   Try again.

Camera is few days old, i already do that reset to factory settings, i show two of my colleagues and they saiyng that never seen before something like this 😄

Tnx for yours respond.

Send it in or return it.  Today!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements