cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D Underexposing?

jtwaters
Contributor

I am new to the 6D and learning how it use it.  I have had it about 4 months and many of the landscape images look like they are underexposing.  I can correct some of the problem with Digital Photo Professional 4 but the images don't look natural after the correction. I don't have this problem with my son's T3i or my old T5i.  My settings / setup are as follows.

• Lens - Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS (About 4 years old)
  • Camera is set to Program AE, White Balance - AWB, Picture Style - Natural,  Auto Lighting Optimizer - Standard, AF Operation - AI Focus, Drive Mode - Continuous Shooting, Metering Mode - Evaluative Metering, Highlight Tome Priority - Off, RAW and ISO 400.

Changing Picture Style,  White Balance and Metering Mode don't make a difference.  Why are my images coming out about ~1/2 step too dark?  If I try to compensate by increasing the AEB Setting many parts of the images are over exposed.

Jim

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

If you already own Lightroom then I would recommend you adopt it as your processing software. It is far more flexible than DPP. 

Do a camera reset and take some "snapshot" photos using AUTO outside in good light of your home. If they don't come out well the camera probably needs service. 

Landscape photos can "fool" the camera if there is a lot of bright sky. The camera basically assumes that the overall image is average brightness. If there is a lot of bright sky the camera exposure will be biased by the bright sky, so the areas you care about, which most likely won't be the sky, will be dark. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

diverhank
Authority

Depending on the light level in you picture - say too much of the sky with bright light, the metering will underexpose the shot.  This is fairly common and is also easily fixed.

P, Tv and Av modes allow you to do a quick exposure compensation by dialing it up a half or a stop and your problem is solved.

When I shoot landscapes, I'd always use M mode and on tripod.  Sound harder than it really is because I also use Live View with exposure simulation turned on.  I'd set ISO to 100, Av to f/11 and dial the speed in until it looks perfect on the LCD (which I calibrate to show correct exposure).  Exposure is nailed every time and it's the easiest thing to do.  You don't need to use P mode with very little control...

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

When I got the camera the first thing I did was to upgrade the FW to 1.1.6.  From what I recall it always did this.  Let me try to do a factory reset and try the other recommendations.

Jim

How do the images look on the camera LCD?

The LCD shows a JPEG image processed with all the in-camera settings. It's basically a simple DPP. 

Lightroom will read and process the RAW files but will ignore Canon specific features such as Picture Styles and ALO. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

The images on the LCD look a little dark too.  Would it be better if I spend the time learning Lightroom or DPP4?

Jim

If you already own Lightroom then I would recommend you adopt it as your processing software. It is far more flexible than DPP. 

Do a camera reset and take some "snapshot" photos using AUTO outside in good light of your home. If they don't come out well the camera probably needs service. 

Landscape photos can "fool" the camera if there is a lot of bright sky. The camera basically assumes that the overall image is average brightness. If there is a lot of bright sky the camera exposure will be biased by the bright sky, so the areas you care about, which most likely won't be the sky, will be dark. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

diverhank
Authority

Depending on the light level in you picture - say too much of the sky with bright light, the metering will underexpose the shot.  This is fairly common and is also easily fixed.

P, Tv and Av modes allow you to do a quick exposure compensation by dialing it up a half or a stop and your problem is solved.

When I shoot landscapes, I'd always use M mode and on tripod.  Sound harder than it really is because I also use Live View with exposure simulation turned on.  I'd set ISO to 100, Av to f/11 and dial the speed in until it looks perfect on the LCD (which I calibrate to show correct exposure).  Exposure is nailed every time and it's the easiest thing to do.  You don't need to use P mode with very little control...

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements