cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5d mark iv saving images to card and computer

ekrob
Contributor

I just started using a 5D mark iv with Digital Photo Pro and Eos Utility.  I was dismayed to see that when I was using Digital Photo Pro and EOS Utility to save images to computer using camera's wifi capability, camera was not saving images to SD/CF cards in camera as well.  Not to mention, images were not displayed in camera after shot. I'm very familiar with Canon equipment, owning 2 7Ds, and a 5D mark iii in addition to this new mark iv.  I have also used WFTs extensively with 7D and 5D mark iii.   I'm sure there's an easy fix for this.  Help please.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

JaneST
Apprentice

Hello,

I don't know, if it is useful, but try this manual - http://www.usermanuals.tech/d/canon-eos-5d-mk-4-manual

@ekrob wrote:

I just started using a 5D mark iv with Digital Photo Pro and Eos Utility.  I was dismayed to see that when I was using Digital Photo Pro and EOS Utility to save images to computer using camera's wifi capability, camera was not saving images to SD/CF cards in camera as well.  Not to mention, images were not displayed in camera after shot. I'm very familiar with Canon equipment, owning 2 7Ds, and a 5D mark iii in addition to this new mark iv.  I have also used WFTs extensively with 7D and 5D mark iii.   I'm sure there's an easy fix for this.  Help please.

Thanks

I'm having some difficulty getting my head around the relevance of the 7D and the 5D Mark III to this discussion, inasmuch as neither camera has any WiFi capability.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Only to point out that I am, in fact, comfortable using wireless file transmitters.  Both the 7D and 5D mark iii do indeed have that capability with dedicated wfts, WFT-E5, and WFT-E7, both of which I use extensively.  What about an answer to my question?

Thanks

@ekrob wrote:

Only to point out that I am, in fact, comfortable using wireless file transmitters.  Both the 7D and 5D mark iii do indeed have that capability with dedicated wfts, WFT-E5, and WFT-E7, both of which I use extensively.  What about an answer to my question?

Thanks

While I have never used a WFT, I get the impression that they are more flexible than built-in WiFi, which is probably why built-in WiFi has been previously limited consumer cameras.  Those cameras can only transfer JPEGs.  Remote shooting means rerouting the video signal from the LCD port to a communication port.   

I haven't used a 5D4, much less its' WiFi feature, but I would surprised if it made the camera body as flexible as using a WFT.  The WFT units are costly [too much IMHO] because they add a lot of features.  You might have expected too much from the built-in Wi-Fi.  I know my 6D has more wireless features than a Rebel, but it still falls short of a WFT.  I suspect the 5D4 may be similar.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ekrob
Contributor
Thank you for the thoughtful answer. I assume the issue is with the camera and not the DPP or EU software. I still have to believe there's a workaround.

I knew there had to be a simple explanation.  Spoke with a Canon Support Rep:

In the EOS Utility "Remote Shooting" window, just below the ISO section is a computer icon.  When you click on that, lo and behold, there are "Image saving location" options.

I also had this problem, and thanks to ekrob, I was able to fix it quickly.  I was actually at an all day shoot when this happened. 

I was setup with my 5D Mark4 using wireless to my PC with the Canon Utility3.  It was storing jpgs into a directory that I then used Lightroom 6 to atuo import.  I had set up my PC before the shoot, and used it two consecutive days prior to that.  After starting the shoot, I noticed that no 2 second display came up on my 5D Mark4 after taking a picture. I looked for the RAW in my Compact Flash (card1) and realized no copies were on my cards.  Only low res jpgs were in the PC.  

At a break, I searched Google for an answer and quickly found ekrob's answer.  I went to Canon Utility and below the ISO section was an icon with JUST the computer.  I clicked on the computer and then I saw options to also save pictures on my card.  This could have been a disaster.  I was panicking.  I normally don't use wireless, but that was a feature I needed on occasion, and this was the occasion.  I took a picture of Canon Utility screen, and my 5D MK4 'Quick Button' screen to know how to setup my cards in the future.  I wish I could post a picture here.  On my camera I had setup 'Rec. seperately, RAW on CF, S1 on SD card, and playback card 2 (SD).  That saved RAW on CF, low res JPG on SD card2, and transmitted  jpg to Canon Utility on the PC for speed so we could see the picture.  Hope this helps somebody.

I've had 2 Canon Rebels (t3 and t6) and just bought the M50. I have always imported RAW images from the SD card....to LR. It is not working from the SD card I used on the M50? The images don't appear on 'import'. I can get them from the camera to my phone...but I need my desktop editing abilities. Help!

ekrob
Contributor
A long time ago my father taught me, "don't learn from your mistakes, learn from OTHER PEOPLE'S mistakes." Glad I could help.
Announcements