cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark IV Video Glitches

FrankBoots
Contributor

I recently purchased a refurbished Canon EOS 5D Mark IV and shot a music video for a friend last weekend.  I shot in 4k 24fps, 1080 24fps, and 1080 60fps - shutter speeds at 50 and 120 respectively.

Upon dumping and reviewing my footage I noticed some glitches in many of the video files regardless of the resolution, frame rate, or memory cards (ScanDisk Extreme Pro 200mb/s V30).  The glitches can be displacement of a small part of the frame or a full discoloration.  They last either 1 or 2 frames.  

I tried a different card reader, another computer, and went back to check the playback on the camera display itself.  I noticed that the playback will stop on the camera at the same time the glitches appear when viewing the files in Premiere.  

Any insight as to what is causing this would be greatly appreciated.  Very frustrating.  I believe I have a 90 days return policy so I'm trying to figure out if I did something wrong or just got a lemon.

Thank you!  

14 REPLIES 14

This chart does not take into account recording at higher frame rates, like 60 fps.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hey Waddizzle!  Yes the playback will just stop when viewing in camera where the glitch first hits.  It continues to play the full clip in Premiere but with the glitch.  That chart is super helpful, I thought I'd be ok with a V30 but I guess CF is the move going forward.  If it was poor card choice and the glitches are baked in, I can live with that and choose wiser next time.  Mainly just want to make sure it's not a problem with the body before the return policy is up.  Thank you!

Also, was just thinking, would that SDXC card be adequate for 1080 24fps?  I understand it may not be the best for 4k or 1080 60fps, but theoretically it could handle that without any probs right?  I have glitches in my 1080 24fps footage as well.... 

@FrankBoots wrote:

Also, was just thinking, would that SDXC card be adequate for 1080 24fps?  I understand it may not be the best for 4k or 1080 60fps, but theoretically it could handle that without any probs right?  I have glitches in my 1080 24fps footage as well.... 

Make sure to use the camera to format your SD cards prior to first use.  Again, does the video glitch when you play it back in the camera?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I formatted both cards in camera prior to use.  When in camera, playback will stop where the glitches are.  So say in Premiere there's a glitch at 0:20 of a 30 second clip, in camera that same clip will end at 0:20.  Hopefully that makes sense.  Thanks!

Announcements