cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark III - underexposes

suntcatalin
Apprentice

Hello,

I've noticed that my Canon 5D Mark III underexposes somewhere between 2/3 stops and one stop.

I've taken a test photo and I've attached the histogram and the exif. I photographed a white sheet of paper

Is this behaviour normal or is there a problem in the camera's metering system?

Thanks,

Catalin

Histogram

histogram.jpg

Test photo

5D3_7451.jpg

I have also attached the full exif:

[Image]
Make = Canon
Model = Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Orientation = top/left
X Resolution = 72
Y Resolution = 72
Resolution Unit = inch
Date Time = 2014-01-20 21:16:29
Artist = Catalin Fuioaga
YCbCr Positioning = co-sited
Copyright = Catalin Fuioaga
Exif IFD Pointer = Offset: 360
GPS Info IFD Pointer = Offset: 9554

[Camera]
Exposure Time = 1/200"
F Number = F5.6
Exposure Program = Normal program
ISO Speed Ratings = 2000
8830 = 2
8832 = 2000
Exif Version = 30, 32, 33, 30
Date Time Original = 2014-01-20 21:16:29
Date Time Digitized = 2014-01-20 21:16:29
Components Configuration = YCbcr
Shutter Speed Value = 7.63 TV
Aperture Value = 5 AV
Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV
Metering Mode = Partial
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 105mm
Maker Note = 8152 Byte
User Comment =
Subsec Time =
Subsec Time Original =
Subsec Time Digitized =
Flashpix Version = Version 1.0
Color Space = sRGB
Exif Image Width = 2880
Exif Image Height = 1920
Interoperability IFD Pointer = Offset: 9326
Focal Plane X Resolution = 1971.253
Focal Plane Y Resolution = 1975.309
Focal Plane Resolution Unit = inch
Custom Rendered = Normal process
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Manual white balance
Scene Capture Type = Normal
A430 =
A431 = 073024017512
A432 = 24/1, 105/1, 0/1, 0/1
A434 = EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
A435 = 00001bcf3a

[GPS]
GPS Version ID = 2, 3, 0, 0

[Interoperability]
Interoperability Index = ExifR98
Interoperability Version = Version 1.0

[Thumbnail Info]
Compression = JPEG Compressed (Thumbnail)
X Resolution = 72
Y Resolution = 72
Resolution Unit = inch
JPEG Interchange Format = Offset: 11444
JPEG Interchange Format Length = Length: 3320

[Thumbnail]
Thumbnail = 160 x 120

11 REPLIES 11

hsbn
Whiz

That's how any camera meter work. Use gray card to test instead of white paper. Also, do you have Lighting Optimizer or High Tone priority turn on?

Read more here: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-metering.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Thanks for the reply.

Obviously, I did not expect to meter the exposure to the right of the histogram :). But I expected to see it in the middle of the histogram, not to the left. 

If I would compensate +2/3 the histogram would have become perfectly centered.

ALO OFF

HTP OFF

Canon is a little conservative in term of "middle gray". I think they're trying to avoid blowing out the high light. Depend on the company, middle gray can vary greatly and Canon seems to go a little on the "dark side". 🙂
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

The camera is calibrated for 12% gray.  If you were to obtain a "12% gray card" then the metered exposure would put the histram spike right in the middle.

I have an 18% card -- but really I use this for white balance.  When I'm _really_ worried about exposure, I grab my hand-held incident light meter.  But when you're _really_ worried about exposure, don't take a single meter reading.

When I use my hand-held meter, I can hold my meter in high-light area and take a reading, then put it in a shadow area and take a reading, and the meter will tell me the middle exposure (the one that would be best if I want to grab the greatest range of tonality while avoiding clipping off or blowing out my shadows and highlights.

You can do this with your camera by switching to spot metering mode... then center the camera on the darkest area you see in the scene, take a meter reading, then do the same with the brightest area and take another reading.  With those two readings, find the middle exposure.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for your help!

I think evaluative metering does essentially what Tim C. said to average the darkest and lightest. I shoot entirely using evaluative metering...I find it to be incredibly good, even for subjects against the sun.
================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:
I think evaluative metering does essentially what Tim C. said to average the darkest and lightest. I shoot entirely using evaluative metering...I find it to be incredibly good, even for subjects against the sun.

My understanding (and this would be a great topic for a Canon USA's YouTube page https://www.youtube.com/user/CanonNorthAmerica/ ) is that "evaluative" uses the multi-zone metering... except it then compares the metering to a database of "patterns" in the camera in an attempt to determine what type of shot you are likely taking and then biases the exposure based on the needs of that type of shot.

I've never seen an example of what these "patterns" are.

What I was mentioning was a bit more primative... find the darkest and brightest point... and use that to find the middle exposure so that (hopefully) nothing is blown or clipped.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Did you ever get satisfaction from this thread?  Many people have the same concerns with the 5D3 as do I.  I have even had my camera in and they do nothing about it, claim it's normal.  However searching through these forums I found this thread and some very interesting information that had worked for two people following the thread.  It was written by Canon personel.  Try this:

Dgtl_nm8r,

There was a serivce advisory for the EOS 5D Mark III, but it was not related to the issue you are experiencing.  As a first step towards resolving this issue, we suggest that you restore the camera's default settings.  You can reset to the factory settings by following the procedure below: 

1. Press the MENU button.
  2. Select the [Tools #4] tab.
  3. Select [Clear All Camera Settings].
  4. Press the SET button.
  5. Select [OK].
  6. Press the SET button.

Somehow, my EOS 5D Mark III got into a mode where it was creating very dark images.  I was using normal camera automatic settings (at least I did nothing to change any settings).  The "Clear All Camera Settings" did the trick for me as stated by @marcosphoto.  Now they look normal again.

Announcements