cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark III "can't recognize card1"

mlenna
Apprentice
Hi fellow canon user, I have problem with my 5D, I bought it like 6 month ago.
Now, my camera doesn't read any card. I tried to put a blank new SD card and it doesn't work at all. I've tried multiple times, but still doesn't work.

Anybody know what happen to my camera?
What should I do ? thankyou
8 REPLIES 8

Skirball
Authority

Have you formatted the card, in the camera?

@mlenna wrote:
Hi fellow canon user, I have problem with my 5D, I bought it like 6 month ago.
Now, my camera doesn't read any card. I tried to put a blank new SD card and it doesn't work at all. I've tried multiple times, but still doesn't work.

Anybody know what happen to my camera?
What should I do ? thankyou

"Card1" is the CF card slot, isn't it? Sounds as though you may have set the camera to read from the CF card but inserted only an SD card.

If I'm weong, take Skirball's advice and format the card. It can't do any harm and might solve the problem.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

mlenna
Apprentice
yes I format all the card from computer and from the camera. But still

mlenna
Apprentice
well that makes sense now, it always say card1 even though I put the sd card on slot 2. Does it mean my camera broken ?

@mlenna wrote:
well that makes sense now, it always say card1 even though I put the sd card on slot 2. Does it mean my camera broken ?

No, it just means that you've told it to use the wrong card slot. Make sure it's set correctly. If you're uncertain how to do it, check the instruction manual, which explains all.

Bob

PaulSoebekti
Enthusiast

Mienna:

Have you set the recording method to 'Standard' and select card[1] - in the lower margin of the menu screen?

It's explained on page 118 in your manual.

Paul

JoeN
Contributor

The CF card is card 1.  If you open the door to the memory cards and remove card 1, then close the door before you put the CF card back in it's slot, then the camera defaults to card 2, the SD card.  The camera will then record to card 2 and card 1 it will be blank.  I normally shoot to the CF card first and when I remove it to download the pictures I try to remember to leave the door open until I replace the CF card.  I have more than one CF cards so what I have started doing is getting a spare card CF card ready, remove the CF card from the camera, insert the spare CF card, then close the door.  The camera is still set to record to card 1.  After I have downloaded the files from the CF card I delete the files from the card, format it, and put it in my camera bag ready for the next change.

I don't know why Canon designed the firmware this way but as far as I know there is no way to change it.  It is one of those mysterious and frustrating things that manufacturers do to us.

Joe

@JoeN wrote:

The CF card is card 1.  If you open the door to the memory cards and remove card 1, then close the door before you put the CF card back in it's slot, then the camera defaults to card 2, the SD card.  The camera will then record to card 2 and card 1 it will be blank.  I normally shoot to the CF card first and when I remove it to download the pictures I try to remember to leave the door open until I replace the CF card.  I have more than one CF cards so what I have started doing is getting a spare card CF card ready, remove the CF card from the camera, insert the spare CF card, then close the door.  The camera is still set to record to card 1.  After I have downloaded the files from the CF card I delete the files from the card, format it, and put it in my camera bag ready for the next change.

I don't know why Canon designed the firmware this way but as far as I know there is no way to change it.  It is one of those mysterious and frustrating things that manufacturers do to us.

The way to prevent that is to have only one card in the camera at a time. It won't switch over if it has nothing to switch to. But I agree that the fact that it doesn't notice that you put the first card back in is confusing and annoying.

Bob
Announcements