cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D II shutter button issue

MichaelTran
Apprentice

Hi All,

I have an issue which just happen today.

Problem : 

- can half-pressing shutter button , but cannot full press -> can't take a picture

- go into Menu/ Picture style ... then press shutter button -> can take picture but not need to full press.

I tried :

- test some lens and AF/MF

- update firmware

- another battery

If someone already had same issue, please help me.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@MichaelTran wrote:

Hi All,

I have an issue which just happen today.

Problem : 

- can half-pressing shutter button , but cannot full press -> can't take a picture

- go into Menu/ Picture style ... then press shutter button -> can take picture but not need to full press.

I tried :

- test some lens and AF/MF

- update firmware

- another battery

If someone already had same issue, please help me.

Thanks

You lost me at “Picture Style”.  This almost sounds like the camera is in “mirror lockup” mode.  If you updated the firmware, then that should have reset many of the basic settings and operating modes, including mirror lockup.  Maybe not.  

Try resetting the camera to “factory defaults” in the menu.  If you want to complete reset of the camera, then there are at least three different places in the menu that need to be reset or cleared.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

HI

It still happen after I  factory reset it by removing battery and date time battery. The mirror lockup is disable and the basic settings and operating modes are in default. 

Do you have any idea ?

Is your memory card inserted and recognized?  Try changing menu setting that controls shutter release without card to allow and see if it is the card or a card issue that is preventing shutter release.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

It recognized the memory card, I also used another one.

"Do you have any idea ?"

Yes, and they are all bad. Smiley Sad  You need to have it looked at. Try Midwest Camera Repair since I don't think Canon services them any longer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You need to do a hard reset. You need to remove both batteries. The main battery and the keep alive battery. They need to be out for an hour or so. Updating FW wasn't necessary as it wasn't the problem. It doesn't completely reset the camera anyway. If you have to enter the correct date and time it did reset. If you don't it did not reset.

If this doesn't restore it to proper working condition it needs service. I doubt Canon does that on the 5D Mk II any longer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements