cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 4000D Movie Recording Stopped Automatically

atlasisntaround
Apprentice

When I stream my canon EOS  4000D comes up with a message when i record after 15 minutes or so, saying 'movie recording stopped automatically', since you need to be recording in movie mode for the camera to work as a webcam. I have spent hours looking for a solution, like changing my shooting size and bitrate, and my SD card is very large so i doubt that is the problem. To be specific its a sandisk extreme pro 12GB, 170MB/s SD XC. Ive also seen that you can download utility software for your camera model, but there isnt one for the 4000D camera. I really dont know how to keep streaming/recording without the message coming up every 10 minutes. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The camera has two limitations built into it, as I understand it.  One is the limit of 29'59" which was imposed by the EU to differentiate true video cameras from DSLRs that do video.  The former attract a much higher duty rate, and Canon adopted that limit to avoid the tax.  Remember a DSLR is a stills camera that can do some video.

The other limitation is a 4 GB video max file size.  Both of these are described in your manual on P167.  There is no way to get around those, and you are most likely hitting the individual file limit.  If all you want to do is use a webam and not record, then I would suggest get a dedicated webcam - they are built for the job.  If you want to record  for longer periods then you need to look at other camera models.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The camera has two limitations built into it, as I understand it.  One is the limit of 29'59" which was imposed by the EU to differentiate true video cameras from DSLRs that do video.  The former attract a much higher duty rate, and Canon adopted that limit to avoid the tax.  Remember a DSLR is a stills camera that can do some video.

The other limitation is a 4 GB video max file size.  Both of these are described in your manual on P167.  There is no way to get around those, and you are most likely hitting the individual file limit.  If all you want to do is use a webam and not record, then I would suggest get a dedicated webcam - they are built for the job.  If you want to record  for longer periods then you need to look at other camera models.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Greetings, atlasisntaround

I agree with the information that Tronhard was able to provide to you. The EOS 4000D is an international model of the EOS Rebel T100 that is meant to be sold in the United States. Per review of page 167 of the user guide, the camera will stop recording video if the file size reaches 4GB in size or when reaching 29 minutes and 59 seconds, whichever comes first.

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/1/0300029791/01/eos-rebelt100-3000d-im-en.pdf

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If the camera is supported by Canon's Webcam Utility:

Webcam Utility 

You can stream as long as you want. I just used my T6S to livestream a graduation that lasted an hour or so.

I checked the Canon Website and the EOS 4000D is not on the list of supported cameras for Canon's Webcam utility, while your T6s is.  They do not appear to be the same camera.  The 4000D is an 18MP unit while the T6s is a 24MP unit equivalent to the EOS 8000D.  So not a match from what I can see.

cheers, TREVOR

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I know they are not the same camera, I was just saying that if it was on the list, problem solved.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought that to use the webcam utility, that you need to be in live view mode, not video recording mode. Try live view mode instead.

When you record a video, the camera uses the sensor directly.  Live View mode is for when you taking stills and want to bypass the optical viewfinder system.   The duration of recording limit has absolutely nothing to do with the live view mode.

Did you review the other posts in this thread where this was explained???

cheers, TREVOR

Anonymous
Not applicable

"since you need to be recording in movie mode for the camera to work as a webcam"

I don't believe that this is correct.

To use the webcam, you don't need to record, only be in live view. Yes, I read the other posts. They are all talking about recording limitations. The OP only wants to use the webcam as far as I can determine. No recording is necessary.

It won't work as a webcam without going into video recording unless other software is used: simply putting the camera into live view mode will achieve nothing - which is all you suggested, and I and Canon tech support will confirm is not, on its own a solution.  Canon's streaming video software is not available for this model, but the user could download an open source programs called OBS Studio.  This uses the live view mode and allows streaming, but one needs a compatible HDMI cable that supports codecs for video and audio.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements