cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you use verbal commands to get the Canon R8 to take a picture?

JimmyCanon
Contributor

We have an R8 and have been looking through the manual and online videos for setting up voice commands like telling the camera to shoot as you can do with a cell phone. It is hard to believe this camera can not do that. Any help would be appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I'm not aware of any canon camera that takes voice commands. There may be some third-party add-ons that do, but even there I haven't seen them advertised.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

jwight01
Contributor

These cameras are not cell phones.  You can use a Canon app to remotely control the camera from a phone, but not by voice command.

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Believe it.  It does not.  As my colleagues have said, a dedicated camera is not a cell phone. So, suggest continuing to use your cellphone for that purpose.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@JimmyCanon wrote:

We have an R8 and have been looking through the manual and online videos for setting up voice commands like telling the camera to shoot as you can do with a cell phone. It is hard to believe this camera can not do that. Any help would be appreciated.

What brand and model of cell phone is able to do that?  My iPhone 15 cannot.  If I ask, “Siri, take a photo.”, then the Camera app opens.  Full stop.  Siri is unable to focus much less fire the shutter. In fact, the AF system seems idle.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Galaxy S24  In 2022 Sony applied for a patent for a voice control interface for their cameras. Not sure if they have implemented it yet. The voice commands on the S24 work very well. You can take pictures and videos without having to touch the camera and risk moving it.

I would suggest using the S24, but if you want to engage with Canon on this on a serious basis, then this is not the forum to do it on.   We are not Canon, we are experience users with moderator oversight, so any discussion will be purely speculative.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

That sounds more like an Accessibility” feature, to me, one which currently only works with the onboard camera and its native app.  

My iPhone has a voice control feature, but you apparently have to teach it what it is that you want it to do. 

Siri already has basic vocabulary of commands. Enabling Voice Control provides a means to expand on it. 

In other words, it doesn’t sound like any smart phones from the leading manufacturers are capable of controlling an external camera using voice control. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Having worked in cyber security, I have a fundamental reservation with any device that listens to everything I am saying - which is the case when a device is looking for a word like 'Siri" or whatever, as the precursor of a command. While I do not expect that there are people hunched over earphones listening to the minutia of our lives, such information has apparently been harvested into big data.  Thus, I prefer to live in splendid isolation.

If I want to remotely control a camera, there are other, more private means of doing so without having to add more capability - using Canon Connect, for example, and the digital interface provides feedback data on settings to your screen.

cheers, TREVOR

March411
Rising Star

@Tronhard wrote:

I have a fundamental reservation with any device that listens to everything I am saying

Glad I am not the only one that feels that way!

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery
Announcements