cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you upgrade the R7 Camera using a USB cable?

mmills79
Contributor

Hi,

I am using UHS-II cards in my R7. I don't have a UHS-II card reader. So I use the USB cable to upload my pictures from the camera to my Windows PC. That works well.

However, I can't seem to be able to use the USB to C cable to download the newest firmware version to the root of a reformatted SD (UHS-II) card. I can clearly see the root directory of the card on my PC using the USB cable (when the card is mounted in the camera slot 1). Why shouldn't you be able to use a USB cable to download the firmware to the SD card when the card is in the camera and you have set up a connection to the PC?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It's a built-in function of the linux operating system. Only the admin/superuser can access the root  directory of the card while it's mounted (accessible by the camera). That's why the camera has a handful of folders (DCIM, etc.). A normal user (you) will never be able to access the root of the card, or the camera's base OS - to prevent damaging the firmware. 

TL;DR: No, this can't be overridden. You do need this protection, or you can potentially damage your camera and break your camera. 

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

@Stephen
Thank you for that new information. I wasn't aware the basic operating system was a Linux derivative. I thought Canon had a proprietary operating system: DRYOS. Granted, you would want to hide or protect some of the core functionality like the boot record of the operating system. But I don't think that the core operating system is on the SD card, it is most likely in internal Non-volatile or RAM memory. That is something you can protect through administrative privileges'. So, if the operating system is not on the SD card, why would you need to protect the root of the SD card?

...and furthermore, you can even format and access (read/write) the root of the card when it isn't in the camera. Again, I'd be really surprised to find that the root of the SD card held operating system files you could corrupt. If you can write the .fir file to the root of the SD card when it is in a card reader, why shouldn't you be able to do same in camera (i.e. write to the camera mounted SD card - but certainly not to non-volatile memory)? What am I missing?

Announcements