cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you invert negitive film in camera with settings using D5 Mark IV?

wkwells4072
Apprentice

I have a lot of B & W negitives and want to digitize them using my EOS D5 Mark IV. 

Can I preview the negitive image with my camera by inverting the image to positive. 

So two main questions......

Is there an invert or negitive setting in camera?

Can I preview the image in the ESO Utility as a positive?

Thank you for any info or help.

14 REPLIES 14

That's because the answer was very clear by @Waddizzle:"Camera’s are designed to create image files, not so much to edit them."

But, there is no need to build such feature it into a camera. Custom picutre style can do a trick. But only after removing limitation from Picture Style editor.

"I would like to make quick preview with my Canon 80D."

The problem here is you people are trying to use the wrong equipment to do a very simple operation. Get a scanner.  Some do 10 or 12 negs or slides at a time. Usually less slide as they are bigger.  You can pick and choose which photo(s) you want.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Why using a scanner? It is not free. I have a photo magnifier from a 35mm film era, I had a photo lab for B&W photography at that time. Scanner is not free, and form me a photo magnifier is free. 

To use a photo magnifier for scanning negatives, it is necessary to remove an objective, so a camera is focusing on a backlighted film. Behind a film is a condensing lense for even light distribution. It works great, and is kinda having digital photo lab. After remote-photographing a negative from EOS Utility, I convert it to negative and adjust RGB levels to get real colours (for colour negative). It's so much like working in a photo lab, only without chemistry. Great feeling.

Why do I like to have a "Negative" custom style in Picture Style Editor? Because, at 35mm era, it was usual to make contact copies and develop them to check photos before magnification. For this part of a process I would like to use my digital EOS.

The only thing that makes it impossible is a limitation in Picture Style Editor to invert a Tone curve. One simple SW upgrade will fix it, and ALL Canon digital DSLRs would be able to produce positive view of 35mm negatives.

Wouldn't it be a great feature? Advantage for Canon?

You would probably have better luck getting Magic Lantern to support it.

"Wouldn't it be a great feature? Advantage for Canon?"

Not to rain on your parade but in my 60 years of photogrpahy I have never wanted or seen a need for it.  In those same decades I have never had anyone express a desire for that feature. I suspect Canon takes that in to account to what features they put in cameras.

I still think you are trying to use the wrong gear for the task at hand.  Do you happen to have a printer?  Most now days have a scanner built in. That is not the best way (best scanner I mean) but if you already have a printer it if is free to use also. Another point is I think you will get quicker results than asking and/or waiting for Canon to make it a feature in their cameras.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements