cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't transfer images from EOS Rebel T6 to my PC

Bigfooter58
Contributor

All of a sudden I can't transfer images from my Cannon EOS Rebel T6 DSLR camera to my Dell Inspiron 5490 All-In-One Desktop PC. I've tried with the SD card & USB cable. I have Windows 11, but I've had it for over a year and this is a new problem

16 REPLIES 16

florence023
Contributor

@Bigfooter58 wrote:

All of a sudden I can't transfer images from my Cannon EOS Rebel T6 DSLR camera to my Dell Inspiron 5490 All-In-One Desktop PC. I've tried with the SD card & USB cable. I have Windows 11, but I've had it for over a year and this is a new problem HP® Store

Hello,

I understand how frustrating it can be when suddenly encountering issues with transferring images from your Canon EOS Rebel T6 to your Dell Inspiron 5490. Let’s troubleshoot this together! Here are some steps you can take:

Check the Basics:
Ensure that your camera is powered on and in the correct mode for transferring images.
Verify that the USB cable is securely connected to both the camera and your PC.
If you’re using an SD card, make sure it’s properly inserted into the camera.
Driver and Software Updates: 
Windows 11 should automatically recognize your camera when connected via USB. However, it’s a good idea to check for any available driver updates for your Canon EOS Rebel T6.
Visit Canon’s official website and download the latest drivers for your camera model.
EOS Utility Software:
Canon provides the EOS Utility software, which allows you to transfer images from your camera to your computer.
If you haven’t already, download and install the EOS Utility software for Windows 11 from Canon’s website.
Connect your camera to your PC using the USB cable, and then launch the EOS Utility. It should detect your camera and allow you to transfer images.
Image Transfer Settings:
In the EOS Utility, check the settings related to image transfer. Make sure it’s set to automatically transfer images when the camera is connected.
If auto image transfer doesn’t begin automatically, try restarting your camera.
To stop sending images automatically, choose “Auto send images to computer” > “Auto send” > “Disable” in the EOS Utility.
SD Card Reader:
If you’re using an SD card, consider using an external SD card reader. Sometimes direct USB connections can have issues.
Insert the SD card into the reader and connect it to your PC. Then access the files directly from the card.
Test Another USB Port:
Try connecting your camera to a different USB port on your Dell Inspiron 5490. Sometimes a specific port may have issues.
Restart Your PC:
Sometimes a simple restart can resolve connectivity issues.

Hope this will help you.
Best regards,
florence023

I use the port that I normally have my webcam plugged into because I know it works. I hate to buy an external card reader because I already bought a USB cable to solve this problem and it didn't help

Is the cable you bought a data cable?  Some cables are just charging cables. 

How important is it for you to download your images? You can buy a card reader from Amazon for $10. And if it turns out not to solve the problem you can return it. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

I ordered one this morning, but I need to be able to upload them to the internet because I participate in contests

You are looking at a minimal investment of a few dollars vs pottering around trying to get other methods to work.
If you are uploading the the web you can do that from the computer and in the meantime have the chance to do your post-processing, so you can show your  best for the contests you want to enter.
As my colleague John said, you might have to get a different USB cable if the one you have is not a data-compatible cable, which could cost even more.   The SD card reader has been reliably used for decades, so the probability of it not working on your system is rather minimal.  The data transfer from a USB reader will be faster than for the USB port on your camera as well, so that is a bonus.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I can't do it from the computer if I can't get my images onto my computer

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Bigfooter58 wrote:

All of a sudden I can't transfer images from my Cannon EOS Rebel T6 DSLR camera to my Dell Inspiron 5490 All-In-One Desktop PC. I've tried with the SD card & USB cable. I have Windows 11, but I've had it for over a year and this is a new problem

When you say "tried with the SD card" do you mean card removed from camera and in a card reader?

If so, that would seem to be a computer issue. Have you had a recent OS update?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yes

If “Yes” means you had a recent OS update then you probably beed to post on a Windows support site. Card readers are not camera specific. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

click here to view the gallery
Announcements