cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't register EOS 5Ds. Serial number on camera matches original box, and it matches EXIF data.

halrobin2001
Apprentice

Hi.  I am trying to register my Canon 5Ds.  The serial number on bottom matches the original box.  And, I pulled the EXIF data and it also matches there.  And, based upon the third number in the Serial Number (2), this indicates it IS a U.S. item, which is where I am trying to register.  Canon Website says "Incorrect Product Serial Number".  Any ideas?

Thanks!
HR

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi Robin and welcome to the forum:
It sounds like the system sees a mismatch between the model type (EOS 5Ds) and the serial number.  Just in case, can you please repeat the process again, and confirm that you have the right product and not something like the 5DsR, for example. 
If that does not work, I would suggest calling 800-OK-Canon to speak to a tech support person.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks. Definitely a 5Ds and not an sR. I’ve typed it in multiple times, copied/pasted so I’m certain it’s input correctly. Will try calling support I guess as next option as not sure what else could be. Maybe try different web browser??

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Another reason why you are unable to register the camera would be it is a grey market item.  That means the camera was not manufactured for the US market, which Canon USA would not be Abel to service it.

I am surprised to hear about new 5Ds models being available.  The US market dried a few years ago.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

March411
Rising Star

halrobin2001 welcome to the site.

Calling the support group is the best path, the team has always been helpful when I reached out for assistance. Here is the number for direct camera support if you need it: 800-385-2155.

Also, if it is grey Canon US can assist/service you with repairs they simply will not be under warranty and will have expense attached to the repair.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

90D ~ 5D Mk IV ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery

Stephen

Hey there!

Where did you purchase the camera? Was it new or used? 

halrobin2001
Apprentice

Update to all:  thank you for the replies.  It was purchased used, but from a legit retailer (BH).  It is a US Market item - I can tell from third digit of serial number being the US designation number.  I was initially trying to register through the image.canon site for a related canon service which can also register products.  I went to another canon product/service website with same info and WAS able to register it there!  And when go back to image.canon still won’t recognize that camera there - but it is registered.  So main issue is fixed - it is registered!  I’ll still call on Monday though. Thanks!! 

Announcements