cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect m50 via usb

jasmynn
Contributor

My EOS m50 is not being recognized by my computer. I've tried several usb cables. My wifi/bluetooth is turned off on the camera. I've tried on 3 separate laptops.  This is extremely frustrating. I can connect via wifi, but can't get on the internet when my camera is connected, so I'd like to use the usb connection.

I've come to the conclusion it's not the EOS utility as none of my computers even recognize that I plugged it into usb ports. It will normally ding letting me know the camera has been connected. It worked last year. Now I cannot get any computer to even recognize it. So, it's obviously a setting on the camera. I've seen so many threads about this issue and none resolved. Please let me know what the problem is.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I initially thought that too, because I had literally tried 6 different cables. I found another very thick usb cable and it worked. The others came with phones and other devices. I don't know what the specifications are, but it needs to be documented that a specific type needs to be used. Some of the ones that don't work were data cables, and some were not, so I don't know what the difference is with the one that finally worked.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

jasmynn.

Have you tried connecting a different camera?

If your connection worked last year, but won't work now, my first thought was that you might have a bad connection port on your camera, or the cable that attaches your USB cables to the camera has gone bad.

Steve Thomas

I initially thought that too, because I had literally tried 6 different cables. I found another very thick usb cable and it worked. The others came with phones and other devices. I don't know what the specifications are, but it needs to be documented that a specific type needs to be used. Some of the ones that don't work were data cables, and some were not, so I don't know what the difference is with the one that finally worked.

Jasmine,

Yes, I am no expert on USB cables, but I think they come in different specs. Your computer manual may mention that in passing somewhere when talking about your USB ports.

I've got an HP laptop, and I believe it uses USB-C cables.

Steve Thomas

Announcements